Animation: Pomyslowy Dobromir
Pomysłowy Dobromir (Inventive Dobromir) is a Polish children's series of 20 animated shorts, produced from 1973 to 1975.Every short follows a similar formula. Dobromir, a boy living in the country, sees his grandpa struggling with some back-breaking physical task. Dobromir, in a flash of inspiration, designs a mechanical tool which would automate the task. His animal friend, a smart but unintelligible bird, attempts to describe the invention to the grandfather, who only manages to grasp the concept when Dobromir brings in his newly-constructed tool for a demonstration of how it makes life easier.The series was written by Adam Słodowy, the Real Life Gadgeteer Genius from Polish TV, who ran his 'Do it yourself' show for years, majorly averting Doom It Yourself.The series was continued in the years 1984-1988 with Pomysłowy Wnuczek (Inventive Grandson), based on the same concept. You'll find it, along with some more cartoons by the same studio, on the studio's official YouTube channel.
The series features the following tropes:
- Brilliant but Lazy: Perceptiveness and an active mind, along with good amount of laziness is how people become inventors, Dobromir included.
- Cheerful Child: Dobromir's default expressions seem to be a huge grin and the "thinking frown".
- Civilized Animal: The bird is able to towel himself off when wet, but not to talk (he's quite "talkative" but in mime and tweets only).
- Edutainment Show: You could say that.
- Feather Fingers: The bird.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Dobromir.
- Good Parents: Good grandparent, proud of his inventive grandson.
- Have the Expert write the plots: Adam Słodowy, so crafty he went memetic
- Idea Bulb: A characteristic variantóDobromir's idea is depicted as a marble bouncing on his head until it finally settles down and pops with a bright flash.
- MacGyvering: Most machines are build from whatever Dobromir had on hand.
- Mime and Music-Only Cartoon
- Minimalist Cast: Almost all episodes feature only the three characters.
- Mundane Utility: Dobromir builds ingenious devices to (among others): wake him up in the morning, reap corn efficiently, cool the trio in the summer...
- No Name Given: The grandfather and the bird.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Not that the light-hearted and cute cartoon needs much of this, but the bird is easily the funniest character.
- Raised by Grandparents: Has anyone ever seen Dobromir's parents? (Or any other member of his family besides gramps?)
- Rube Goldberg Device: Dobromir's machines downplay this, being needlessly complicated only until he figures out (by trial and error) the optimal design.
- Shown Their Work: The machines are real world physics-compliant (designed by the one and the only Adam Słodowy), and we see quite a lot of technical drawings and designs.
- Strictly Formula: There is a minor inconvenience in Dobromir/his grandfathers' life. Dobromir notices it and starts building a machine to solve it, but the first attempt goes wrong. Then MacGyvering begins. Finally he drafts an actual, working device on his big blackboard, builds it (on his own or with grandfather's help), it works perfectly. Everybody's happy!
- This Means Warpaint: Played for Laughs by the bird, when wild birds start eating the corn.