- According to some, these kind of people are either Sociopaths or suffering from GIFT. In fact, if you look at any articles regarding as to why someone would become an internet troll it usually states this.
- To expand on that; notice how a troll does qualify for most sociopathic traits, like manipulation, Lack of Empathy, and often lie in some cases.
- The internet makes it easier to be mean because you are hiding behind an avatar or a screen name and you're typing, not saying these mean things to the recipient in person.
Lack of Empathy
- A troll doesn't upset you accidentally, they do it on purpose.. They're aware of sensitivity and take advantage of it.
- Much like above, they couldn't care less about your feelings. It's probably For the Lulz or just to hurt someone.
This has recently been the subject of a notable Critical Research Failure
taken Up to Eleven
by British Newspapers
as of mid-2012; the term "Internet trolling" they refer to is in fact cyber
-abusers or internet bullies, which is far worse than trolling
. In any case, a troll is someone who would probably say "I like New York Yankees. X [team on fan site] suck!" in a baseball forum, whereas a cyber-abuser is not
a troll and does it for more harmful reasons, which toy with emotions sometimes. Ironically, trolling (the original kind, not the modern definition
) is now on the way to becoming a Discredited Trope
— although it still seems to be tolerated in football forums
. In any case, the proper term for this behaviour is cyber-bullying
. What British media refers to as Internet trolls is called "mobbing" or gang stalking, the practise of making false allegations or stalking in a mob- or gang-like fashion