Analysis: Afro Samurai
MAJOR UNMARKED SPOILERS FOLLOW. ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE
Ninja Ninja represents Afro's repressed thoughts and personality.This is especially prominent in Resurrection, but in both movies, what he says could be considered Afro's thoughts on the situation— his self doubts, his silly side, all the things Afro isn't. Remember— he first appears at the midnight battle under the Bodhi tree when he gets the Number Two Headband back, after all his closest friends are killed. In Resurrection, nearly all of Ninja Ninja's lines could be considered Afro (or any normal person, for that matter)'s thoughts on the matter— For example:
- In the first movie- "What you just did back there, was it absolutely necessary? I'm beginning to wonder if you have any feeling for human life left in you at all..."
- When Afro first starts his journey anew- "We don't gotta do this, you know... maybe you could pick up a sport or somethin'...'
- At the strip club- "You... uh... do something. I'm gonna go get a lap dance, and meet you in five minutes."
- While eating with Shichigoro- "This is the best in town? Afro, you should kill this guy for lying!"
- Before the fight with Shichigoro- "What's with the formal stance? I mean, he cool and all but he ain't yo' friend. Just dead this fool."
- Upon seeing Afro's father's severed head "This can't be real, man! Who are these people?! This can't be possible!"