The History of Video Games
A proposed set of Useful Notes pages telling the history of the video game medium by generation
(This is a proposal for an index of pages dealing with each generation of video games. We already have the History Of Animation and The Ages Of Superhero Comics, so I propose something similar for the video game medium, which similarly can be dealt with by generation. If this gets approved, each unmade page will be placed Up For Grabs) An index for the various generations of video games, telling the development of the medium and notable games in each generation. (years taken from Wikipedia)
- The Golden Age Of Video Games (first and second generations, 1972-1984, i.e. Atari 2600)
- The 8-bit Era Of Console Video Games (third generation, 1983-1992, i.e. NES)
- The 16-bit Era Of Console Video Games (fourth generation, 1987-1996, i.e. SNES, Sega Genesis)
- The Fifth Generation Of Console Video Games (1993-2006, i.e. Play Station, N64, Sega Saturn)
- The Sixth Generation Of Console Video Games (1998-[[hottip:*:The PS 2 is still in production with games still being produced, so this generation is still active]], i.e. Sega Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Nintendo Gamecube)
- The Seventh Generation Of Console Video Games (2005-, i.e. Xbox 360, PS3, Wii)
- The Eighth Generation Of Console Video Games (2012-, i.e. Wii U and future competitors)
- See also Console Wars, which only tells of the competition between each console in each generation.
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable