DAN 004 wuz ere takin over ur druft
There are many ways of reacting to your imminent death. Some people whine, others smile
, some others scream, others face it with grace and courage
Then there's always the chance for one last profanity.
It can be a curse to your killer (which, depending on the work, will eventually strike him/her), or simply a dear old last F bomb before you go, caused by despair, rage, fear or whatever else. If the dying character is prone to Cluster F-Bomb
then this is a must, but it doesn't stop well-mannered gentlemen from having one last Precision F-Strike
before they go. Frequently used in showcase of Defiant to the End
, but not always; this can also happen after a Villainous Breakdown
or any other kind of breakdown.
Related to See You in Hell
; the trope can be used as this when used by a dying person. See also Oh, Crap
and, often, Curse Cut Short
. Being a Death Trope
, there could be some unmarked spoilers ahead, so be careful. Compare Dying Curse
when the curse words are actually a Curse
rather than profanity.
Anime and Manga
- The quite vulgar Hidan from Naruto. After being blown to pieces by Shikamaru, his still-insulting head is Buried Alive while throwing a flow of insults at his opponent.
- In Genzo, Kurojishi use his last words before exploding to smithereens to curse Genzo. Loudly.
- Cirucci Sanderwicci from Bleach, when the Exequias come to take her away after losing to Ishida. In the fourth movie, Kokuto screams a loud "Kusooo" (Shit) as he's being dragged deeper into the pits of hell.
- Preacher. Herr Starr's last words, on having most of his head blown off: "Shit."
- Dead Like Me. George gets out a last "Oh Shit" before being vaporized from a space toilet that didn't quite get the memo on where and when to re-enter the atmosphere.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- In "Doppelgangland", Willow's vampire Evil Twin dies saying "Fuck".
- Played With with the Mayor, who goes with a much more tame, "Well gosh."
- One episode of Nash Bridges has the Villain of the Week hire assassins to kill Nash. One of them is a bomber who plants a bomb in the car Nash is borrowing. Unfortunately (for the bomber), he accidentally sets it off. His last words: "Oh sh..!"
- Homestuck. The Sufferer's last word, uttered during his execution, is known as the Vast Expletive.
- In Community Channel, Natalie muses that despite most characters having dramatic secrets to reveal (e.g. "Agatha's not dead...!), her last words would mostly likely be something like "....fucking....... hurts..."
- According to the officer that arrived to the scene of Tupac Shakur's drive-by shooting, his last words were "fuck you" (to the cop).
- Cozy Powell was apparently speaking to his girlfriend on his cellphone when he uttered "Oh shit!" before losing control and crashing his Saab 9000 going 104 MPH without a seat belt.
- George V of Britain made public last words of "The King's life is moving peacefully towards its close." Instead, his nurse administered a sedative, making his actual last words, "God damn you!"
- One legend has it that when the last square of Napoleon's Old Guard were surrounded at Waterloo, they were invited to surrender rather than be annihilated, but their commander, the tough career soldier General Count Etienne Cambronne, shouted back, "La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!" - "The Guard dies, it does not surrender!". However, the alternative legend says that he actual shouted "Merde!" - "Shit!", about as vulgar as "Fuck Off!" in modern terms.
- A third version says that he was actually captured, more or less accidentally, before the guard were finally crushed. And in any case, the heroism of the story is a bit diminished by the fact that Cambronne certainly survived the battle, albeit wounded. Still, "merde" is sometimes euphemistically known as "the word of Cambronne" in France.
- Transcripts of airplane black box recordings have plenty of these; here. NOTE: Some people may find these disturbing!