This is a stock practical joke. The victim is asked to look into a kaleidoscope,binoculars or similar item. The eyepiece end has been coated with something that leaves rings around the eyes when the item is pressed to the face. Advertising
- Not an eyepiece, but basically the same prank is pulled by a wheel of cheese in a Cheez-It commercial, using the rim of a mug instead of an eyepiece. See it here.
- Little Lulu
- In Episode 6, Lulu is looking through a pair of binoculars while her and the others are looking for fires to fight (long story). When she removes them, she ends up with black rings around her eyes, as the others start yukking it up about it.
- In Episode 12, Lulu attempts to do this to the mean butler, but unfortunately for her, he is wise to the trick, so he sticks the binoculars on Lulu's face, causing this to happen to her a second time.
- Mahoney pulls it on Captain Harris in Police Academy.
- ''Arthur :Arthur does this to Binky in "Arthur's April Fools". He was afraid most of the book that Binky would pull a prank on him, and ended up turning the tables at the end. He told Binky to go home and look through the paper tube at the mirror to decode a written message-that said 'April fool's'.
- In the Harry Potter series, Fred and George invent a joke telescope that gives someone a black eye when they attempt to use it, and the only way to clear it is with their antidote. Hermione grabs it absentmindedly once and it still punches her, even though she wasn't looking through it.
- CSI NY Lindsay gets one of these from her husband,in a prank meant for Adam,the lab tech. She wears glasses the rest of the ep to hide it and spends most of it trying to determine the prankster. She tells Danny she'll find a way to get him back for it.
- M*A*S*H episode "The Joker is Wild". During a practical joke contest, Colonel Potter gets "Ring Around The Eyes" when he looks through a pair of binoculars.
- Used in The Far Side with professional astronomers pulling this prank on each other at work.
- One of the Hilarious Outtakes from Toy Story 2 has thus happen to Buzz after he looks through Lenny, the toy binoculars.
- In the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "Griffon the Brush Off", Pinkie Pie does this to Rainbow Dash using a telescope that the latter was looking in to see the results of their squirting turtle prank.
- Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy: Ed is using a opened-up can as a binocular. When he puts it away, a ring where the can once was is on Ed's eye.
- This happened to Spock in the Star Trek: The Animated Series episode "The Practical Joker".After the Enterprise passed through a mysterious energy field, the ship's computer started pulling practical jokes on the crew. One example was coating the rim of a viewing device with a black pigment. When Spock looked into it, it left rings around his eyes.
- In an April Fools' Day/Clip Show episode of The Simpsons the employees of the Frying Dutchman Restaurant do this to their boss Captain MacAlister as he's looking through a telescope. "From this day, I be requiring hairnets."
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.