Sleep Squashing YKTTW Discussion
A big character rolls over a small character while sleepingNeeds Examples Better Name Description Needs Help Tropeworthy? Up For Grabs
While two or more people are sleeping, a big character sometimes rolls and turns. And even crushing someone else. Mostly done in cartoons. See also: Squashed Flat, Butt Sticker
Examples:Anime and Manga
- In the Pokémon third movie short, Pikachu and Pichu, Pikachu and the Pichu brothers are being chased by a Houndour. Pikachu and the Pichu brothers jump over a fence and bounce off a sleeping Snorlax's belly, and when Houndour follows, Snorlax rolls over, causing Houndour instead to crash on the concrete. Snorlax then rolls back over, crushing Houndour.
- This same thing also happens to Houndour in the Pokémon Channel exclusive short, The Pichu Bros. In Party Panic! minus Pikachu. making it a Running Gag.
- Also in the first Pokémon movie short, Pikachu's Vacation, after Charizard blows a feuding Pikachu and Raichu off a cliff, they bounce off a sleeping Snorlax's belly before landing on the floor next to it... it then rolls over.
- Yet another example in episode 41, "Wake Up Snorlax!" The exhausted Team Rocket trio crashes to the ground, complaining about missing their chance to steal a Snorlax. That Snorlax happens to be sleeping nearby, and it rolls over on top of them.
- Horribly used in one Punisher story: a morbidly obese woman suffers a heart attack and falls on her eight-year-old son. He eats his way out before the cops find him. In the present, he's living in a pile of dead bodies brought to him by the city's homeless.
- Played for Drama in CSI, when a morbidly obese woman accidentally suffocates her partner, and pretends it was murder because she can't stand the humiliation of the potential jokes.
- Played for Drama in The Bible: The story that ends with Solomon proclaiming that he'll just cut the living child in half to determine who the true mother is starts with two prostitutes with one baby each who live together and one of them rolling over on her baby and killing it.
- The Amazing World of Gumball:
- "The Treasure" While Gumball is sleeping in his parents' bed. Richard grabs him in his sleep. Gumball shrugs it off, but Richard starts moving again, and starts pushing Gumball with his hands. Eventually, Richard just rolls over him.
- Family Guy:
- "Emission Impossible" When Stewie is sleeping in Lois and Peter's bed. Stewie tells Peter to roll over; but he rolls over him.
- "Mr. & Mrs. Stewie" has Peter accidentally crushing Lois in his sleep, which leads to Sleeping Single, which leads to Peter going to Quagmire for cuddling and later crushing him as well.
- Looney Tunes'':
- "What's Brewin', Bruin?" Junyer Bear breaks his bed, so he goes to sleep with Papa Bear. Junyer keeps rolling over Papa, flattening him. Papa tries holding up a hat pin to stop Junyer, but it just gets bent, so Papa just nails some planks to keep Junyer on his side of the bed.
- The Rescuers Down Under: Wilbur is asleep on the wheelwell of a plane, with Bernard and Bianca sitting on the seats on his back. When Bernard tries to wake him up, Wilbur just rolls over, lying on top of his passengers.
- This is why co-sleeping with babies and young children is controversial in the United States.