This is the trope where a character moves around their buttocks, which can be used for many purposes - sexual arousal
, or celebration. Firstly, a character is doing this to arouse another character (note that when a male does this for this particular reason, it's quite jarring
, which is why female examples of this are commonly intriguing, especially if the female is the Ms. Fanservice
). Secondly, a character does this as a way of being cocky towards another character, particularly when annoying or taunting
him. Thirdly, a character does this as a part of celebrating their success or achievements, although the second and third variant can overlap if winning means the character is arrogant enough to rub it in on other competitors
Compare Belly Dancer
. Taking this trope too far would be Mooning
, of course is rather gross when a male does it
, but not a female
. Related to Sexy Walk
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- From Pokémon, Jynx's Pokedex entry says it wiggles its hips seductively and sometimes induces people to dance.
- From Soul Eater, Kim does this in order to turn it into a portal to another world in Chapter 98.
- Parodied in Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel where The Chipettes shook their tails.
- Grace Jones in Conan the Destroyer shakes her rear end after emerging from water, to shed droplets from the furry tail that hangs at the back of her "tribal warrior-woman" costume.
- A subversion occurs in the indie comedy from the 90's, Friends and Lovers. Alison Eastwood (yes, the daughter of Clint Eastwood) combines this with Sexy Coat Flashing as she reveals her *ahem* assets and shakes them for her lover.
- In the portion of Not Another Teen Movie parodying Bring It On, the (white) cheerleaders do some serious rumpshaking:
- Chloe does this in front of Beca as she walks away in one scene of Pitch Perfect, which explains the former's ambiguously bisexual lifestyle.
- The first Shrek movie has Dragon shaking her rear end while Donkey is singing Baby Got Back in the Shrek Karaoke Dance Party.
- Deputy Chief Johnson of The Closer (s4e2) gets carried away while leaving a flirty phone message for her cohab Fritz.
- In That '70s Show, Eric is upset that Donna mooning Jackie during a school event made it into the yearbook. Donna's response is to shake her ass during their "circle."
- TNA's Velvet Sky always does it in her entrances, especially between the apron. As Taz would say "Let the pigeons loose!"
- WWE: This is one of Eve Torres' signature moves. She pops her butt up and down in a squatted position right before performing a moonsault on her opponent. In WWE '13, this is called the "Booty Popping Moonsault".
- In WWE Taboo Tuesday 2004, Trish Stratus does this cockily after retaining the Women's Championship in the Fulfill Your Fantasy Battle Royal.
- In Braindead 13, the resident Ms. Fanservice Vampiress Vivi does this often, either walking or standing. To really drive the point home, there's a brief sequence where the camera is focused on her behind as she moves, complete with punny sentence.
- The Huntress from Dungeon Defenders does a butt-shaking dance which is one of the qualities that goes well with her status as the game's Ms. Fanservice.
- In Heavy Rain, Madison does this when Paco forces her to strip at gunpoint. She does it to distract him so that she can club him with a lamp, though.
- Vanessa Z. Schneider from P.N.03 does this while firing automatic blasts. It doesn't help she's a Dance Battler.
- In Team Fortress 2, if the Demoman taunts while holding the Scottish Resistance, he turns around and shakes his posterior while squeaking noises are heard.
- This is one of Anna Williams from Tekken taunts towards an enemy, not to mention this also goes along with her butt attack in Tekken 6.
- The Neurotically Yours episode "The Jiggly Butt" has Germaine shaking her butt, watching it jiggle to see if she gained weight and she does it again happily after Foamy encouraged her to be proud of being a Fat Bastard. Foamy soon regrets this and wonders who wrote this episode.
- The mail box segment from the first episode of Medaka MENT has Medaka, who is wearing bra and panties, sings the mail song from Blues Clues while shaking her butt to emphasis herself "waging her tail".
- One scene from the "Bad Little Boy" episode from Adventure Time has Cake morphing her body into a voluptuous one and proceeds to shake her butt at the camera for a couple of seconds during Marshall Lee's song.
- In the The Boondocks episode "The S Word", Granddad tells Huey how "traumatized" Riley is for being called a "nigga" by a third-grade teacher, but what Riley is doing is what Huey believes to be the "celebratory booty dance" due to the fact Granddad will sue the teacher for restitution.
- One of the show's strip ends with "a black woman's gyrating rear end", as a comment on the quality of television entertainment.
- In the The Fairly OddParents episode "Smarty Pants", A.J. mocks Timmy by doing this after receiving yet another A+, and after wishing to be the smartest kid in the world, Timmy does this in front of A.J. in return after teaching the class about the Alamo and the state of Texas, in which he receives an A+ for it.
- In one episode of Family Guy, Peter does it as a part of his goofy impression of Winston Churchill, much to the annoyance of Lois and the other flight attendance.
- From the season 2 finale of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, this is part of Twilight Sparkle and Cadence's Secret Handshake involving with both ponies shaking their rumps together.
- An unintentional example comes from Phineas and Ferb in where Candice shakes her rear all because she has squirrels in her pants.
- There's also one episode where the Fireside Girls did this in which they call it the "Waggle Dance".
- In an episode of The Simpsons, Homer walks in on Lisa doing a sexy butt shake and is about to yell at her about it, but then sees the girls on TV doing the exact same thing, which Lisa was copying.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Squidward does it on a few occasions in a way to mock Spongebob's mishaps. "Christmas Who?" and "Club Spongebob" are common examples.
- Spongebob also does it to Sandy when he wants her to chase him to the Krusty Krab in "Texas".
- The Sym-Bionic Titan episode "Lessons In Love" has the infamous "Booty Quake" scene where Kimmy tries to get Octu's help for her test by doing a enticing dance, which can be found here.
- Many dances involve shaking one's butt in a provocative or enticing manner.
- "Twerking" is a phenomenon that started in urban and African-American communities that involves taking a squatted (or any other posterior-emphasizing) position and twisting the buttocks up and down. On a butt that is sufficiently round or chubby, it will wobble up and down. The appeal is both in how much flesh moves and how fast, and in fantasizing about those same hip movements during sex.
- Some bird-of-paradise species use rump-shaking as a component of their elaborate courtship dances.