Needs a Better Title, Do We Have This One?? Seen It a Million Times See also Name's the Same.
- Bob: Yeah, I met famous rock stars The Rollin Stones.Alice: (Gasps) You met The Rolling Stones the famous musical group?Bob: What? Oh, no I met The Rollin Stones, the famous band of granite and marble actors and actresses. Boy I would love to meet the Rolling Stones though!
- Also Marvel's Doctor Druid, in his first appearance, was called Doctor Droom. They changed his name when they revived the character so as not to be confused with Doom.
- Xemnu the Titan is a kinda interesting example; he was referred to as "a Hulk" before the Hulk existed, but he called himself Xemnu. [[hottip:*:"Hulk" being a generic word for a large thing, often a ship, at the time. See Space Hulk, which is not Hulk IN SPACE! ]] After the Hulk was created, Xemnu has come back a few times mostly as a Hulk foe, feuding over the name.
- She-Hulk once fought Doctor Doom. This particular Doctor Doom turned to be Doctor Bob Doom; a cousin of the more famous Doctor Doom and a Depraved Dentist.
- In Seinfeld, George Costanza buys a car purported to have been owned by actor Jon Voight. He later learns that the car was owned by Dr. John Voight, an unrelated character.
- And also from Seinfeld, for an episode or two Elaine dated a man who had the same name as infamous serial killer Joel Rifkin.
- In the Veronica Mars episode "Ruskie Business", Keith gets hired to track down an actor named Tom Cruz.
- In an episode of Step by Step, Cody told Dana that he was friends with Brad Pitt, and would introduce him to her. Turns out he was friends with Brad Pit.
- In an episode of Cheers, Sam discocers that when he was an alcoholic bender, he bet the bar that he would be married to Jacqueline Bisset by a certain date. When the guy he made the bet with turns up to claim the bar, Sam realises that the bet didn't specify the Jacqueline Bisset, so he tracks down another woman of that name to marry.
- From Monty Python, the "Trivializing the War" sketch from series 4 mentions "the other Cole Porter" who wrote "the other 'Anything Goes.'"
Anything goes inAnything goes outFish, bananasOld pajamasMutton, beef and trout!
- The Beverly Hillbillies/Petticoat Junction: Hooterville's richest and most powerful man is named Howard Hewes. This didn't confuse anybody in Hooterville or the Clampett clan, but Beverly Hills banker Mr. Drysdale just about had an orgasm when he heard that Jed and Hewes were considering doing business together.
- Office Space: Michael Bolton.
- In an episode of Community, the Dean attempts to hire Green Day to play at a dance. He gets Greene Deye, an Irish band, instead.
- JAG: Rabb once offered to introduce a pair of sailors to Jennifer Lopez in exchange for them helping him out. It wasn't till after they've helped that we find out this Jennifer is his dental hygienist.
- Producer Jon S. Denny has a name very similar to much more well known producer Jonathan Demme. When Denny asked for a meeting with Danny Bonaduce to pitch a film based on his life story, Bonaduce thought that Demme had called.
- There's a guy who sells powered wheelchairs who is named Tom Cruise.
- A British general at the time of the Falklands war was named Michael Jackson.
- Bad Baby was directed by Tom Burton, as opposed to...
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.