Drop the bass YKTTW Discussion
|Drop the bass|
When the percussion pauses and then comes back with a heavier bassline.Tropeworthy? Description Needs Help Better Name
The "drop" is a common feature of Drum and Bass, Dubstep and Brostep (but it can be found in other genres, too). It happens when the percussion of a song pauses for a few seconds, only to come back with a heavier bassline. There are multiple types of drops:
- Type A: Characterized by loud, explosive basses. Common in dubstep and house music, and made popular by artists such as Skrillex.Type B: A smoother, quieter bassline than a Type A. Often uses a growl or fuzz bass, and is overlaid by synths. Common in variations of dubstep such as smoothstep, and some pop music.Type C: Involves use of mid-range synths or guitars instead of or accompanying a bass. Used in dubstep and certain genres of rock and metal.
- The trope namer is Skrillex.
- Raise Your Weapon at 4:07.
- Jaga Jazzist
- "I Could Have Killed Him in the Sauna" (the drop happens at 1:44)
- "Oslo Skyline" (the drop happens at 2:35).
- A Hawk And A Hacksaw
- "A Black and White Rainbow" (the drop happens at 0:49).