The "drop" is a common feature of Drum and Bass, Dubstep and Brostep (but it can be found in other genres, too
). It happens when the percussion of a song pauses for a few seconds, only to come back with a heavier bassline.
There are multiple types of drops:
Type B: A smoother, quieter bassline than a Type A. Often uses a growl or fuzz bass, and is overlaid by synths. Common in variations of dubstep
such as smoothstep, and some pop music.
Type C: Involves use of mid-range synths or guitars instead of or accompanying a bass. Used in dubstep
and certain genres of rock and metal.
- The trope namer is Skrillex.
- Raise Your Weapon at 4:07.
- Jaga Jazzist
- "I Could Have Killed Him in the Sauna" (the drop happens at 1:44)
- "Oslo Skyline" (the drop happens at 2:35).
- A Hawk And A Hacksaw
- "A Black and White Rainbow" (the drop happens at 0:49).