LavaSurfing Lava Surfing YKTTW Discussion
People surfing on lava.
Exactly What It Says on the Tin. This trope is when characters ride on lava. They usually surf on a floating rock that happens to be nearby or something they have with them, unless they're so cool they don't need any. If the heroes are in the Lethal Lava Land or stuck near Chekhov's Volcano, you can bet this is how they will escape. (Magma Men tend to do this a lot.) Sometimes, the object being used to surf will start to burn up or melt, making the surfer find another board. See also Implausible Boarding Skills. Often takes place in front of a Climactic Volcano Backdrop. Subtrope of Convection Schmonvection. Sister trope to Ride The Lightning.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Pokémon Special has the finale of the Yellow Arc, where Yellow lava surfs during the final battle and creates a massive whirlpool of lava that engulfs Lance.
- In Spy Kids 3D, the heroes have to lava surf across the Lethal Lava Land in order to reach the last level.
- In Look To Windward, lava rafting is an extreme sport that citizens of The Culture participate in on unfinished habitats.
- This occurs in the How to Train Your Dragon novel How to Twist a Dragon's Tale when Hiccup is escaping from Big Bad Alvin the Treacherous by riding the lava of a volcano away from him.
- Several characters in BIONICLE participate in the sport of lava surfing with no adverse effects. Handwaved in that they're cyborgs, most of whom have some form of heat resistance.
- Only Matoran of fire, who have a greater heat resistance, do it for sport. Other characters surf on lava only if needed to escape. It was also mentioned that Toa of fire could survive a few seconds in lava. No one thinks that it is stupid to surf for sport on a liquid that will kill you if you fall.
- Bayonetta surfs to escape lava in one cutscene, using a mook as a surfboard.
- In Super Mario 64, you can use a Koopa shell to lava surf.
- In Conkers Bad Fur Day, during the Ugga stage, Conker is knocked out and mugged by a group of cavemen thugs. When he wakes up, he has to chase them through a prehistoric world by surfing over lava on a hoverboard, and then knock them all into the lava with his frying pan to get his money back. Yeah, it's that kind of game.
- In the video game of The Lion King, Simba surfs down a river of lava on a stalactite.
- In Skyward Sword, Link can lava surf on sinking rock platforms, and even create platforms by dropping water into the lava.
- Link Shield Surfs on a river of magical flame in one episode of the animated The Legend of Zelda.
- In El Tigre, the Riveras and the bad guys escape a volcanic lair by lava surfing.
- Subverted in the Phineas and Ferb episode "Swiss Family Phineas". The characters call it "pink lava", but it's really just sudsy water taken Up to Eleven. Perry rides it out on an ironing board.
- Used in the Scooby-Doo movie Scooby-Doo! and the Samurai Sword, where the only means of Scooby and Shaggy passing through the fire gate is by means of surfing over molten lava.