These are the absolute coolest variety of cool shades
. Rather than those frightfully dull
oval, circular, or square lenses, the lenses in these shades are in the shape of isosceles triangles
, joined at one point and with the shortest sides resting on the bridge of the nose.
A variation is for robots to have their actual eyes in this shape. This serves no purpose other than looking cool
- Kamina of Gurren Lagann starts off with a pair, and everybody gets in on the act towards the end of the series.
- Squirtle in Pokémon has a pair that he whips out every no and then.
- The ABC Warriors probably made this trope famous; depending on their current bodies, at least a few of the titular robots have them at any one time. Hammerstein and Mek-Quake are the most fond of theme.
- The character designs in Transformers Animated were influenced by those of ABC Warriors, and that famously included the eyes.
- As if the humans having them wasn't enough, the Gunmen in Gurren Lagann also sport triangle shade-shaped optical receptors.