Infinite Resources Zero Competence
A plan with nearly unlimited resources goes awry due to ignorance and dumbness
Sometimes even Gods can ruin their own plan. You've got the MacGuffin, can end everything at the snap of a finger, yet somehow you still manage to fumble things up. If this happens then you've got Infinite Resources Zero Competence. The difference between IRZC and just plan ole getting defeated is that it's significantly your fault for ruining the plan, even when you have nearly everything at your disposal. The Hero only had a minimal effort in thwarting your masterminded plan and you could've easily disposed of him. A combination of A God Am I and Nice Job Breaking It, Hero or Nice Job Fixing It, Villain. Compare Laser-Guided Karma. Contrast Karma Houdini. Needs More Examples.
- Timmy Turner, who does this every episode on The Fairly OddParents. He literally has two fairies who will grant his every wish yet somehow things manage to go haywire every time..
- Jafar in Disney's Aladdin becomes the most powerful sorcerer in the world and can do pretty much anything, then he decides to become a genie and gets trapped in a lamp.
- The characters from Dragonball have two sets of balls that can make wishes yet aren't creative enough to wish something that can permanently get rid of their problems.
- In Pinky and the Brain, one episode reveals that Brain, despite his genius, is the one factor which always ruins his plans.
- In Portal 2, Wheatley fails despite having the entire facility under his control and you and a sort-of-reformed Gla DOS trapped inside. Then again this is because he was (quite literally) built to be a complete idiot who could be plugged into Gla DOS and serve as a Restraining Bolt by (once again, quite literally) sapping her intelligence.
- In one episode of Phineas and Ferb, Doctor Doofenshmirtz is waiting for his nemesis Perry the Platypus to attempt to stop him (the Genre Blind doctor refuses to carry out his plan without Perry showing up to try and stop him). However, when Perry doesn't show, Doof creates "Planty the Potted Plant" to be his temporary nemesis. It's a potted plant with a hat on it. However, due to spectacular bad luck and idiocy, he accidentally swings the plant on a rope at such an angle as to beat him up, destroy his lab and thwart his plot. All without his nemesis ever showing up at all.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.