World Powered By Dreams And Desires
A World where dreams/desires are a constant source of power, by empowering the character or changing reality.
In this world, the emotions and desires of characters can yield great power. This world is usually or is related to a dream world/dimension. Fisher King is a subtrope. Compare Dream World.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- Pokťmon: Pokemon can receive power from the bonds of the trainers and one movie has the dream dimension intersecting the real world causing physical changes.
- Digimon: The digimon dimension is some cannons powered by the dream dimension.
- Magic Knight Rayearth: Cephiro, as its residents frequently remind the Power Trio from Earth, is a world powered by the heart. Magic is strengthened by willpower, and the world is maintained by the constant and unvarying prayers of the Pillar.
- The Sandman: the Dreaming - human emotions and desires can power up the living abstract concepts and their dimension.
- The Neverending Story: The world of Fantastica is being destroyed by the Nothing, a force that feeds on the denial of dreams and fantasy.
- The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl is set on Planet Drool, a world that the main character, Max, had completely made up, and is shown to be influenced by whatever Max determines it is. However, Drool falls into darkness when Linus steals Max's journal and revises it.
- Daemon Worlds in Warhammer 40,000 are ruled over by Daemon Princes, who can rearrange them to suit their whims.
- Paper Mario- The stars, the seven crystal stars, the Pure Hearts, and the Chaos Heart derive their power from the dreams,hopes, fears, love and hate of the people around them.
- Mario & Luigi
- The universe of The Longest Journey series is very malleable, with dreams playing a major role in its shaping. This is, in particular, explored in Dreamfall Chapters, whose protagonist ZoŽ has the power to manipulate dreams as well as to outright "dream things true".
- In nearly all Dragon Age stories, the characters find themselves in The Fade, a dream realm ruled by spirits that embody human qualities such as valor, faith, desire, and greed. Mortals trapped within are kept in dreams where the demon keeping them there feeds off the emotions created by those dreams, such as sadness, joy, and fear. Also, it is stated in the books that the characters only have their weapons and equipment there because they believe they do.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender: Aang and Zuko had to have the right attitude and motives to power up.Showing fear in the spirit world can result in losing your face if in front of Koh.
- The Legend of Korra: Korra had to have the right attitude and motives to power up. The spirit world changes according to the mood of the powerful spirits.
- Monsters, Inc.: Human laughter and screams are a fuel source in the monster world. The more genuine the emotion behind those screams and laughter, the more powerful the fuel.
- Star Trek: The Animated Series episode "The Magiks of Megas-Tu". On the planet Megas-Tu the power of magic is so strong that an intelligent being can create anything they want at any time just by force of will.
- Western Animation/The Fairly Odd Parents The Fairy world is powered by the belief in faeries. It use to be solely powered by Mr.Crocker, but when he stopped believing, the world crashed. Now, the faeries diversified, and are now powered by all the world's Mr.Crockers.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.