Exactly What It Says on the Tin
, Do We Have This One?
they're the member of the team that just isn't as strong as the rest. They're not useless by any means, in fact they frequently have skills that are completely indispensable. Still they can easily be picked out as the least powerful member of the group. This position is often occupied by New Meat
that has not yet Taken A Level In Badass
. Other times it involves a Badass Normal
among a group of Super Heroes. To truly fit the trope a character must be a clear part of the ensemble and be objectively worse at whatever the group's MO is. If they mostly fight, they have to be the worst fighter, if they mostly hack computers, they have to be the worst hacker. If he serves in a non-combat support role, he's a Non-Action Guy
. If he's the least powerful because his abilities are rarely useful, it's What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?
Anime and Manga
- In Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Striker S, Teana thinks she is this among the Riot Force 6 frontline fighters, because her raw Power Levels are not on par with every other member. By the end of the season, however, she proves that brains make her a much more dangerous opponent than raw power--just like her mentor expected her to be from the onset. Basically, she is to RF6 what Batman is to the Justice League.
- Usopp from One Piece, the author has stated that he's (and he'll ever be) the weakest member of the crew, but that hasn't stopped him from being helpful and even saving the lives of his stronger comrades.
- If you count Lucratzia Noin as one of the group then she is certainly Gundam Wing's version of this trope. The Gundam pilots think so little of her skills that in one occasion they directly order her not to join them in combat.
- Myōjin Yahiko is the least formidable fighter in Ruroni Kenshin's group. Understandable since he's the youngest and has the least training.
- In DragonBall:
- Yamcha, Chaotzu and Yajirobe to the Z-Warriors.
- Raditz to Vegeta and Nappa.
- Guldo to the Ginyu Force.
- Pui Pui to the rest of Babidi's minions.
- In Bleach:
- Orihime to the main cast (Ichigo, Uryu, Rukia and Chad) for most of the series. Her attack power was the weakest of all of them.
- Squad 4 to the rest of the Gotei 13 (except its Captain). They're all trained as healers, not fighters.
- D-Roy to Grimmjow's Fraccion. He was killed by Rukia Kuchiki, who wasn't even a seated officer, in a single attack (using her shikai) without any trouble.
- Aaroniero to the Espada. Also killed by Rukia Kuchiki.
- Tousen to Aizen's defector faction. He was killed by a single attack by Lieutenant Shūhei Hisagi.
- In Naruto:
- Sakura to Team 7.
- Hinata to Team 8.
- Ino to Team 10.
- Tenten to Team Guy.
- Jirobo to Sound Four.
- Tobi to the Akatsuki. (Subverted. He's the Big Bad, and the most dangerous of all.)
- Kitty Pryde in X-Men, at least when she first joined the team. This is because her power mainly works defensively.
- In the Watchmen Silk Specter II is the weakest lacking the ferocious fighting skills of Rorschach and the technological arsenal of Night Owl.
- New Mutants. Cypher (Doug Ramsey)'s mutant power was being able to translate languages and codes, so when he first joined he was basically the weakest fighter in the group.
- Charles Darwin in The Fall. He has a weapon and fights occasionally but pales in comparison to the others. He also dies first.
- Chico from The Magnificent Seven is the youngest and most inexperienced gunman.
- Thanks to a missing leg, Hershel now occupies this slot in Series:The Walking Dead as he has almost no zombie fighting ability.
- Malchiah in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. Of the six vampires raised by Kain to serve him as lieutenants, he was the youngest and as such, the one who received the smallest fragment of Kain's power. Whereas his brothers are truly immortal, Malchiah's body is afflicted with decay, and he must constantly graft the skins of his victims onto his body to maintain it.
- In Justice League Batman occupies this slot in terms of raw power however his intellect makes him one of the most indispensable members of the team. In Justice League Unlimited it's "The Atom" who's declared the weakest by Lex Luthor.
- Jubilee is the youngest and least powerful in the X-Men animated series.
- Clover of Totally Spies!. Along with arguably being the most flawed member, her lack of a unique contribution to the team is outright lampshaded obliviously by Jerry on one occasion.