Do We Have This One?
I think I'll try something a little different with this trope. I'll let the name be decided by popular sovereignty. Here are the names you can vote on during the time it's in YKTTW
- Beware of Jaywalking Zombies
- Jayshambling (1 vote)
- Jaywalk of the Living Dead (2 votes)
- Make Way for the Undead
- Undead Jaywalking (2 votes)
- Undead Man Jaywalking
- Undead Obstruction
- Undead Roadkill
- Zombie Jaywalking (1 vote)
- Zombie Roadkill (disqualified)
Whichever gets the most votes by the time this is launched, that's the title under which it'll be launched.
Zombies aren't the brightest creatures on the planet. And yet, sometimes they're dumb even by undead standards. One of the dumbest things a zombie can do is jaywalking when there are still live humans on the planet that know how to drive. Inevitably, one of these creatures is going to be roadkill, particularly if their head
sustains severe damage.
Of course, it's not their fault they end up being easy targets for cars, both on and off the road. After all, they're dead; many of them don't understand the concept of traffic regulations, to say nothing about them probably being visually impaired
. If they were half as smart as the zombies from Return of the Living Dead
, though, they'd probably look both ways before crossing the road, let alone shambling out in the open at all. If even then they go walking on the roads, well, they probably deserve a special Darwin Award
if they get hit.
Subtrope of Car Fu
. For other ways to kill zombies, see Burn The Undead
, Shock and Awe
, and the traditional method of Removing the Head or Destroying the Brain
Anime and Manga
- The protagonists of Zombi 2 run over a zombie while fleeing Menard's house after finding Paola dead and being devoured by zombies.
- A fuel truck in South Korea makes zeke roadkill in World War Z.
- The Zombie Survival Guide includes one account of a driver accidentally running over a slow- moving pedestrian. As soon as he gets out of his car, he notices the victim slowly crawling towards him...
- Half-Life 2: Episode Two offers an achievement, "Hit and Run," for running over twenty enemies with the car. Headcrab zombies are the most frequently available targets by far.
- One of the titles in the "Simple 2000 Series" of Japanese budget games is The Zombie vs Ambulance. Running over zombies with your ambulance is literally one of the two main goals; the other is to locate and pick up survivors a la Crazy Taxi. If you're not moving fast enough, though, the zombies can climb on and start wrecking your vehicle instead.
- In Dead Rising, you can kill zombies by running them over with a car. They're so stupid that they make no real effort to get out of the way.
- Inverted with Zombie Roadkill, the premise of which involves animals that get struck by vehicles coming back to life for revenge.