...but more important things are going on, like how our government, with all their scientific technology discovers that the alien ships are using our own satellites against us, sending out a signal that will eventually run out and probably mean an attack. Oh wait, no sorry, this was figured out by one cable repairman whose job is to make sure that your HBO is coming in clear. FBI, TV maintenance, they're both pretty similar.There's a crisis underway! The Alien Invasion is imminent, there's a 50 foot tall monster ready to atack Kuala Lumpur, a huge cache of nuclear missiles may be launched needlessly, a humanity-destroying virus is about to be released on the unsuspecting public, and the President's daughter has strep throat!! No matter, there's a huge team of scientists working on it. The entire world's best efforts are focused on the problem, and -- wait, that one guy at the hot dog stand in Des Moines has the solution! Never mind how grossly unqualified he is, how totally unconnected he is to the situation, he knows exactly what's going on, if only he could get them to believe him. It seems in a big world full of know nothing experts, he is The One Guy with a Brain. Compare The Jor-El, The Cassandra, Only Sane Man.
- David Levinson in Independence Day, despite the huge array of government scientists working on the alien spaceship issue, he's the only one, seeming in the world who notices the signal they're sending through Earth's satellites.
- Jack Ryan in every single Tom Clancy movie.
- In The Hunt for Red October, he is a lowly CIA analyst who apparently knows everything about Marko Ramius after having sat next to him once at a banquet and is the only one there who doesn't believe he will launch his missiles.
- In The Sum of All Fears, Ryan seems to be the only one who knows anything about the nuclear attack and knows it wasn't the Russians who were responsible.
- Wesley Crusher in several episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation is frequently the only one who notices some blaringly obvious but important bit of information.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.