Previously Ignorant Beauty
discussion, we thought it might be appropriate to expand and split Big Breasts, Big Deal
into more generalized tropes.
A character who for some reason does not seem to realize how attractive they are. Despite all the attention their good looks bring them
, they will either not notice it or interpret it as anything over than the fact that they're really good looking.
While an Innocent Fanservice Girl
can generate this effect due to a lack of a nudity taboo, these characters are often sufficiently attractive that they can cause traffic accidents even when fully clothed. While cunning characters will usually seek to take advantage of this phenomena, and innocent or shy characters will be embarrassed by it, on occasion a character won't even understand what's going on. They may even lampshade
it by wondering aloud why they are a Weirdness Magnet
This obliviousness is usually the result of one of the following:
- Background: the character is extremely naiive or innocent.
- Culture: the character is from a culture that doesn't regard them as exceptionally beautiful. For example, an inexperienced shapeshifter who chose their form to blend in may wonder if people are becoming suspicious.
- Lack of Intellect: In comedies, these characters are sometimes portrayed as simply being mindbogglingly unintelligent.
- Personality: an adorkable character, Broken Bird, etc., might incorrectly presume their awkwardness hides any beauty they might have. For a Cloudcuckoolander, their own attractiveness might be just one of many things they find confusing.
Regardless, a character who fits this trope is portrayed as starlingly attractive in - universe, and yet they seem to be completely unaware that others find them so.
to I Am Not Pretty
where an attractive character thinks they're ugly.
[[folder:Anime & Manga]]
- Chihaya of Chihayafuru is described by her fellow students as "Beauty gone to waste" or "Beauty in vain" because of her tomboyish lack of interest in using her good looks for anything. In this case, it's because a) she's focused on competitive karuta, and b) she thinks of her Cool Big Sis as the pretty one.
- In Episode seven of Dragonaut: The Resonance Machina and Akira are looking for the main characters in a spa resort. Machina doesn't realize that every male there has their eyes on her. Akira whose less curvaceous and more body conscious does notice and sighs in disappointment about her figure.
- Yura from Futari Ecchi attracts a lot of male attention but she's very shy and already married so she tends not to notice the attention she gets.
- An episode of Ranma ½ had the Tendos go to the beach where Kasumi wondered aloud why guys kept coming up and asking for her phone number. Then she was genuinely surprised when she won a beauty contest (against Ranma-chan, Shampoo, Ukyo, and Kodachi) even though she wasn't even a contestant.
[[folder: Film -- Animated ]]
- Belle from Beauty and the Beast is so preoccupied reading books she doesn't even realize she's considered the most beautiful girl in town.
[[folder:Film - Live Action]]
- In Liar Liar, Jim Carrey's character gets a beating when he informs a woman the reason people treat her so nicely is because of her large breasts, something she apparently never considered.
[[folder:Live Action TV]]
- In the 30 Rock episode "The Bubble" Liz realizes that her boyfriend , Drew, is unknowingly benefiting from his good looks. He's a doctor that doesn't know the Heimlich maneuver, can't play tennis despite having worked as a tennis coach, can order ridiculous items like roast duck soaked in Fanta at restaurants, and gets other kinds of preferential treatment that he perceives as normal, least until Liz decides to reveal to him what's really going on.
- Miranda from The Tempest is so beautiful one character mistakes her for a goddess. She's unaware of her beauty since she, along with her father, has been exiled to a desert island since she was 3 and her father being the only contact with humans she's had.
- In BlazBlue Noel is pretty surprised when Litchi compliments her on her looks.
- Priestess Rao from Ōkami seems oblivious to her effect on men and is baffled by Issun's comments about "melons" and being "stacked to the ceiling". Ostensibly it's because she is a holy woman and too innocent to understand. In reality it is because she is the demon Ninetails in disguise.
- In Persona 4 Yukiko Amagi doesn't seem to realise how interested most of the male students are in her and tends to shoot them down without realising that she's been asked out (to the point that asking her out's known as "The Amagi Challenge"). Similarly, her best friend Chie has a few admirers but keeps assuming that they're interested in Yukiko.
- In the King of the Hill episode "The Good Buck" luanne starts a Bible study class at a swimming pool. She thinks that she's reaching out her students, all male; in reality, they just want to see her in a bikini (and enjoy the hugs she gives when you demonstrate "progress").
- Played straight and later averted in the South Park episode "Bebe's Boobs Destroy Society". For most of the episode Bebe can't seem to figure out why all the boys in her class suddenly find her cool and smart and want to hang out with her. When she finds out it's because of her breasts she tries to get them reduced so they'll take her more seriously.