, Needs More Examples
, Needs a Better Description
All the goodness of Mind Rape
the bitter aftertaste!
When somebody is Brainwashed
and gets better
, but somehow part of the programming sticks and it shows by the character acquiring new personally traits, ticks and/or quirks. For example, Alice is a Charm Person
who casts a spell on Bob to make him fall in love with her. Bob somehow breaks the spell, but whenever he looks at Alice now, he blushes and can't quite explain why. Maybe he's falling in love for real, but who knows for sure.
This can be used as a Plot Device
to show that the character hasn't quite fully-recovered from his brainwashing
. Maybe he has, but the idea of being somebody Not Himself
makes him change... probably for the better. Can become a Family-Unfriendly Aesop
when brainwashing is the only way for a character to change.
Also comes in other flavors:
- Laser-Guided Amnesia-flavor: Either by magic or any other mind-altering means (Time Travel, Reset Button, etc.). Alice makes Bob forget that he was ever in love with her, but somehow Bob still retains faint, lingering sentiments for her.
- Shapeshifting-flavor: Either involuntary or self-induced. Bob gets transformed into a frog. After being brought back to normal, he retains his newly-acquired taste for bugs. Usually used as a gag.
Compare and contrast with More than Mind Control
, where the character more or less knows that he is/was being manipulated, but goes along anyway.
Anime and Manga
- In R.O.D. the TV, Anita becomes a bookworm like her sisters after she gets a part of The Gentleman's memories. Take note, Anita used to hate books.
- Or perhaps she just got a better understanding of Yomiko Readman and books in general.
- This happens to Mara Jade when Palpatine dies.
- This was the reason Bronze Tiger always declined to lead the Suicide Squad: he was afraid the brainwashing he received at the hands of the League of Assassins could kick in any time.
- In G.I. Joe, the Baroness is kept under supervision because they can't remove the mind-controlling nanomites just yet. Prior to that, she is shown to have retained some of her "training" by being able to operate a gun pod.
- The main plot point of Inception uses a planted "idea" to change a person's outlook in life. This could be for the better (Robert Fischer views his father in a better light and avoids a possible energy monopoly with his company) or worse (Mal commits suicide thinking the reality she's living in is still a dream).
- The Shapeshifting flavor happens in Discworld, although it isn't involuntary, and Granny Weatherwax only "Borrows" an animal's body for some purpose, sharing it with the real animal for a short time. But after she's exited the animal's body, she still retains impulses from whatever shape she borrowed. For example, she stopped using owls to see at night because "You ends up for days trying to twist your head right round," and after she's borrowed an entire beehive, she declares, "I wantzzz a bunzzch of flowerzz, a pot of honey, and someone to szzzting."
- In line with The Zeroth Law of Trope Examples. Demetrius, after he has been made to fall in love with Helena in A Midsummer Night's Dream by Puck's magic, nevertheless still shows signs of lingering affection for Hermia when he refuses to hurl her off violently when she clings to him: "What should I hurt her, strike her, kill her dead? Although I hate her, I'll not harm her so." (MND, III.ii.269-270)
- In Kingdom Hearts II, when Sora bids farewell to Hayner, Pence and Olette, he sheds a single tear but doesn't know why. Little does he know that he has Roxas' memories within him, and he remembers them as his friends in the virtual world.
- Nier decides to save Kaine at the cost of his own existence in the final ending. When she comes to, she starts crying when she finds the flower Nier gave her.
- In Ben 10: Alien Force, Albedo is an villain who copied Ben's appearance and Omnitrix. He also gained some of Ben's characteristics, like eating junk food. After having his Omnitrix broken, stuck with Ben's color-swapped form, and taken to prison, he shouts, "BRING ME CHILI FRIES!!!"