In Japanese Mythology, some objects become alive when over 100 years old. In the case of parasols, the turn into one-eyed spirits that have a human leg instead of a handle. Thus this tends to show up in works in The Japanese Time of Myths. In video games, they will be Mooks, often on weaker end. A Sub-Trope of Animate Inanimate Object. Compare Cyclops.
- The Drifters from the Kirby games are shaped like western umbrellas.
- A boss in one of the Parodius games is a ring of these, in homage to a similar boss in a Gradius game.
- An enemy in Super Mario Land 2.
- An enemy from Ganbare Goemon.
- Invoked in Muramasa: The Demon Blade. Bandits hide in large umbrellas, and hop around on one foot, to look like spirits and scare their marks.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.