DiscardedYKTTW Kasa Obake YKTTW Discussion
A spirit from Japanese Mythology, looking like a one-eyed umbrella.
In Japanese Mythology, some objects become alive when over 100 years old. In the case of parasols, the turn into one-eyed spirits that have a human leg instead of a handle. Thus this tends to show up in works in The Japanese Time of Myths. In video games, they will be Mooks, often on weaker end. A Sub-Trope of Animate Inanimate Object. Compare Cyclops.
- The Drifters from the Kirby games are shaped like western umbrellas.
- A boss in one of the Parodius games is a ring of these, in homage to a similar boss in a Gradius game.
- An enemy in Super Mario Land 2.
- An enemy from Ganbare Goemon.
- Invoked in Muramasa: The Demon Blade. Bandits hide in large umbrellas, and hop around on one foot, to look like spirits and scare their marks.