A Stock Phrase
referencing The Wizard of Oz
and intended to express the idea that the character is in a completely unfamiliar or indeed otherwordly place.
According to the Beam Me Up, Scotty!
page, the actual quote is "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more" and the common misquote is "I don't think we're in Kansas any more, Toto".
- The Matrix: Just before the red pill taken by Neo kicks in, Cypher warns him "Buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is going bye-bye!"
- Avatar: Colonel Quaritch warns the newly arrived soldiers "You are not in Kansas anymore!"
- Honey, I Shrunk the Kids:
"I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto."
"I don't think we're in the food chain anymore, Dorothy."
- Nanny Ogg says "I don't think we're in Lancre any more, Greebo" in Witches Abroad. After a farmhouse drops on her head.
- Literature: Parodied in one of S.P. Somtow's stories about a world where the Roman Empire survives to the 20th century and interacts with
Red Indians Native Americans. At some point one of the Romans says something like "All things considered in toto, I don't think we're in ---- anymore."
- Not in Kansas Anymore: A Curious Tale of How Magic is Transforming America is a book by Christine Wicker.
- We're not in Kansas Anymore: Strategies for Retiring Rich in a Totally Changed World is a book by Walter Updegrave.
- Stargate: In episode Solitudes: "What's the bad news, 'cause unless they've redecorated the Gate room, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."
- Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: Aisha goes to find her piece of the Zeo Crystal and ends up in Africa. She sees a lion, and says "I don't think I'm in Angel Grove anymore."
- The first episode of 90210 is titled We're not in Kansas anymore.
- Referenced in Big Country's song "We're Not in Kansas", a song by a Scottish band lamenting the state of the USA.
- The Far Side has one with two fleas walking through a bleak landscape and saying "I don't think we're on Toto anymore."
- Quoted almost to the letter by Cortex in Crash Nitro Kart.
- Strangely enough, used in The Legend of Spyro.
- In the game Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, the action begins in the country of Azad, and enters a magic area that leads to a magic well that increases his life-bar when he drinks from it; upon entering, he says "I don't think I'm in Azad anymore."
- In Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, Zoe said this after entering an alternate world.