Chaos Kin YKTTW Discussion
Anthropomorphic Personification and/or God of Chaos
Do We Have This One? , Tropeworthy A creature or person who embodies or rules over Discord, Destruction, and general Chaos. One who merely practices chaos doesn't qualify, (like the Joker) he must BE Chaos. He may be a god like Loki or Eris, a creation of entropy, or the incarnation of Chaos itself. Chaos Kin are typically monstrous, demonic, or at least chaotic looking. Differs from a God of Evil in that they are not necessarily evil, but they are usually portrayed as such in media. Compare The Trickster.
- In Marvel Comics two of the Anthropomorphic Personifications are Lord Chaos and Master Order; they always appear together.
- Tamora Pierce's Realm of the Gods has a goddess of chaos fighting the other gods. At the end of the book Daine fights her directly in a Shapeshifter Showdown
- In the Inheritance Trilogy Nahadoth , the eldest of the three, rules over Chaos. He is not evil per se, but his morality does not align with human morality much of the time.
- Ronnie Soak from Discworld is a bit of a subversion, as he is the anthropomorphic personification of Chaos, but works as a milkman.
- The Lords of Chaos in Michael Moorcock's Elric Of Melnibone and The Chronicles Of Corum series, such as Arioch and Xiombarg. They can take a wide variety of shapes, such as those of demons, human beings and Eldritch Abominations.
- In Hercules: The Legendary Journeys the minor god Strife is seen a few times; his part is much larger (to the point of being the The Dragon to Big Bad Ares) in Young Hercules. Discord also appears; in the Hercverse they're separate gods.
- Loki, the Trickster God of Mischief in Norse Mythology.
- Greek Mythology:
- According to Greek Myth, existence began with Chaos. Chaos gave birth to Darkness and Night, and they began a lineage which gave rise to all the elements of the world (Light, Day, Earth, Sky, et cetera), culminating in the birth of the gods.
- Eris was the Greek Goddess of Discord or Strife. She presented a golden apple inscribed "To the Fairest" to Hera, Aphrodite, and Athena, and their quarrel over the apple led to the Trojan War.
- Egyptian Mythology:
- Warhammer 40K has four gods of chaos fed by both negative and positive traits. (Khorne is fed by murder and glory in battle, Tzeentch is fed by fate and hope, Nurgle is the god of death, disease and survival while Slaanesh is fed by both hedonism and love). Unfortunately, the universe is just such a Crapsack World (and The Warp was corrupted long ago, so Chaos armies are essentially the Legions of Hell.
- The former Chaos god Malal represented pointless destruction, though that role has now gone to Khorne and Tzeentch.
- The Chaos Kin of Kid Icarus: Uprising is the Trope Namer. An insect-like monster described as a being of pure evil who makes its home in a hellish, confusing dimension called the Chaos Vortex.
- Chaos from Final Fantasy holds the title of God of Discord.
- Some of the Daedra from the Elder Scrolls series, such as Mehrunes Dagon, the Prince of Destruction, Revolution and Change, and Sheogorath, Prince of Madness.
- In an online Role Play based on Invader Zim, The Role Play has a Grim Dark section, One of the characters is called Lyra, whom is the Goddess of Chaos and tends to torture people into insanity with her tricks and Reality Warper tendancies.
- Discord of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is a Draconequus; a shapeshifting, reality warping spirit of Chaos and Disharmony.