A kid, often a Bratty Teenage Daughter
, wants to go out with her friends, out on a date, or out to a party, but the way she's dressed does not please her guardians (usually an overprotective dad).
What happens can vary. Often the kid will obey, but in a huge huff. Other times a fight will break out, and might even cause enough bitter feelings to make the Conflict
for the episode.
Compare Age-Inappropriate Dress
, I Want My Beloved to Be Fashionable
, Underdressed for the Occasion
- The Boys has this during Butcher's meeting with Mother's Milk during the The Name Of The Game opening arc. MM objects strongly to the outfit his daughter's wearing. She ignores him, and Butcher chews her out over disrespecting her father (terrifying the two 'gangstas' she was hanging out with in the process.
- In Apollo 13, the Lovell's teenaged daughter wants to go out for Halloween dressed like a hippie, and her parents tell her she can't go out dressed that way.
- The Cheerleaders (1974 softcore comedy film): Jeanne, a new cheerleader, is going to a party dressed in a very tight shirt and shorts she wore when she was 10 years old. Her father doesn't let her go. Her new cheerleader friends explain that you have to sneak out in more conservative garb and then change.
- E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (bowdlerization taken from its 20th Anniversary Edition): "You're not going out dressed like that! You look like a hippie!"
- There's a line in the Beastie Boys song, "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party)" which says: "Don't step out of this house if that's the clothes you're gonna wear".
- One The Far Side cartoon has a fly leaving for a date, with her father telling her to remove some of that makeup and the gallon of pheromones.
- In the beginning of Mother 3, Hinawa orders Lucas to change into his clothes before going outside to play with his brother.