DramaticSitDown Dramatic Sit Down YKTTW Discussion
|Dramatic Sit Down|
Being so shocked that you feel weak kneed.Needs Examples
Everything seems to be going according to plan. There are some risks of failure but you are confident that everything will turn out okay. Perhaps, you don't even know there is going to be a problem. Maybe it's just a normal day for you when Alice comes in. "Oh, how nice! I wasn't expecting company. Do you want me to fix you some tea? ... Why do you want me to sit down? What?! Jimmy's dead?! I think I need to lie down..." That's right. This is a very specific example of a Heroic BSOD or a Villainous Breakdown. It involves a chair, couch, rock, etc. as a plot device. It shows that the person is too shocked by the revelation that they can't keep standing. Maybe they hit the Despair Event Horizon. Maybe the Shell-Shocked Veteran has reached his limit. Maybe someone gave them an Armor-Piercing Question. Perhaps you are just going to be sick. This may lead to a Get a Hold of Yourself Man or Quit Your Whining. If played for comedy you may get People Fall Off Chairs right after this or I Think You Broke Him. This is occasionally Played for Laughs along the lines of "You'd better sit down." "I am sitting down." "Then stand up... now, you'd better sit down." Or "I need to sit down." "You are sitting down." "Oh." This may overlap with Contemplative Boss. This trope is about having to sit or lie down due to emotional stress. This may lead to a Big "NO!"! This is Truth in Television since this is a common reaction to stress. This is not about the fact that People Sit on Chairs.
Examples:[[foldercontrol]] [[folder: Anime & Manga]]
- Lelouch from Code Geass does this after the Euphinator incident. He goes to somewhere private and sits down and cries. He accidentally made his second-favorite sister commit genocide. He was forced to kill her and then he turned it into his political advantage.
- Mazinger Z: The Hero Kouji did this in the Mazinger-Z vs. Great General of Darkness movie. Tokyo is attacked by Mykene Warrior Monsters, so he launches Mazinger-Z to fight them... and loses. Badly. Tokyo and his mecha are easily destroyed. It worse when he learns that his Home Base is in ruins and Love Interest Sayaka and Boss' Humongous Mechas have been destroyed by more monsters. His little brother Shirou was put in a coma after a ceiling collapsed on him. Kouji was sitting in his (destroyed) room and cried. He started talking to himself and that he knew he couldn't win the next battle and would die because of it; Sayaka, who was eavesdropping, was driven to tears by this.
- In Immortal Iron Fist's Seven Deadly Weapons spin-off mini, Fat Cobra is an ancient warrior who meets with his biographer. Fat Cobra used chi to long a long life. However, he has amnesia from too much drinking and concussions. During their conversation, he learns just how he became the Cobra Warrior of Peng Lai; he had scores of children with many women. The children grow up and came to get revenge on their dead beat father. He was forced to kill them and, in doing so, gained enough power to become a Cobra Warrior.. Upon hearing this, he burns his biography and dismisses his company. He glares at the fireplace in disgust as he sits alone.
- Basil has a bad Heroic BSOD in The Great Mouse Detective. He can do nothing besides sit there through the Hannibal Lecture and wait for the death trap to go off. He gets better.
Dawson: Dash it all, Basil! The queen's in danger, Olivia's counting on us, we're about to be horribly splattered, and all you can do is lie there feeling sorry for yourself!
- In The Princess and the Frog, Tiana sees fake Naveen ready to marry Charlotte. She runs into the French graveyard and sits down on a tombstone, completely depressed.
- Robert Neville (played by Will Smith) has a moment like this in I Am Legend. His dog is infected by the vampire disease and he puts it down. The dog was only companion for three years during the vampire apocalypse. The following shot is of Neville sitting in his car after burying the dog's body and blankly staring at the now empty passenger seat. He almost commits suicide when two unaffected survivors show up and help him.
- In the third Transformers many bystanders are shown to be standing in shock or sitting dejectedly after Chicago's invasion by the Decepticons and even Epps and NEST soldiers gave up and declared the fight over. Sam has a Heroic BSOD as well. They fortunately snap out of it when Optimus and the rest of the Autobots came back.
- In the movie Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984), set in 2285, Kirk collapses into his chair screaming when Klingons kill David Marcus.
Kirk: "You Klingon bastards, you killed my son." (Kirk tries to sit, missing the command chair entirely) "You Klingon bastards, you killed my son!"
- The epilogue of Saving Private Ryan has the old man kneeling in front of the tombstone, overcome by his emotions.
- The movie Downfall, which is about the days of World War II for Hitler, Hitler has a massive Villainous Breakdown in this infamous scene. He reacted like this after he was told Felix Steiner couldn't hold back the Allies (the Soviets get there first of course) with the forces he has. After his breakdown, he is permanently hunched over and he is usually the only one sitting while everyone else has to stand.
- Pyramids: Dios the High Priest is so shocked at a Djelibabian ruler not following the rituals that he sits down on a chair which happened to contain a model ship for the king's tomb. The ghost of the king notes that it's the first time he's ever seen Dios do anything comical. Later on he also has to sit down on the temple steps when the entire pantheon is coming to life.
- In Supernatural, Sam sits on the floor and stares on in horror after he realized that by killing Lilith, he set Lucifer free. Ruby monologues until Dean bursts in and they kill Ruby together.
- In Battlestar Galactica, Adama does this several times in the last season. He and Colonel Tigh get into a fist fight after he learned Tigh had sex with a certain Cylon prisoner. Tigh retorted that Adama was endangering the fleet by pining for the missing Laura Roslin. He gives up his command to sit alone in a Raptor and wait for her. When he had to confront the fact that Galactica was on the verge of structural failure, and that Roslin was dying, he collapses while defiantly trying to fix the cracked wall in his quarters.
- Exaggerated for comic effect in one episode of Roseanne. Roseanne tells Dan she's pregnant, and Dan proceeds to sit in one spot staring into space for about eighteen years.
- The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries: "Last Kiss of Summer". Joe Hardy's fiancÚ is killed in a car wreck; she dies in his arms. In the next scene he is sitting in a police waiting area, staring into space, fighting the urge to cry, trying to process what just happened, and he doesn't snap out of it until Frank comes in and talks his brother down.
- Used for comedic effect in an episode of Jeeves and Wooster, the normally unfazeable Jeeves has to stop and sit down on a convenient rock when a friend of Bertie's mentions that he often wears his pajamas well into the afternoon.
- Shawn Michaels does this in the third encounter at WrestleMania between The Undertaker and Triple H in their Hell in a Cell match, were Shawn was the guest referee. During the match, Undertaker told Shawn not to stop the match no matter what. This was after 'Taker had taken a few chair shots to the back and Triple H had just gotten the same in return. Shawn was sitting in the corner of the ring having a nervous breakdown while Undertaker and Triple H were trying to get to their feet after a two count had occurred.
- Shiki does this in Tsukihime when Arcueid disappears. Throughout the day, he is merely going through the motions at school. It was easier for him to go to school than deal with Akiha. He only gets better when after he sits alone waiting for a teacher. He waits for several hours, then Roa and Arcueid show up and start fighting to the death.
- In Shizune's Bad Ending of Katawa Shoujo has Misha asking Hisao to have sex with her since she is so lonely. Shizune proceeds to break up with Hisao because she believes she is ruining his and Misha's lives. The last thing we see of Shizune is her sitting all alone on the stairs.
- In the episode of ''HigglytownHeroes'' 'Kip's Dad Gets a Strike', Kip's Dad breaks down when his X-57 bowling ball breaks. During the rest of the episode, he sits in his massage chair whimpering over the remains of his shattered bowling ball.
- After 9/11, George W. Bush did this on camera. He was sitting in a classroom, reading a book to children when one of his aides came over and whispered what was happening into his ear. He made a point by not telling the kids.
- Famously done by former German chancellor Willy Brandt with the "Warschauer Kniefall" ("Warsaw Genuflection"). The incident took place on December 7, 1970 in what was then the communist People's Republic of Poland during a visit to a monument to the Nazi-era Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. After laying down a wreath, Brandt, very surprisingly, spontaneously knelt down. He remained silently in that position for a short time, surrounded by a large group of dignitaries and press photographers.