A suggestion regarding On-Topic Conversations:
- Debate, don't denigrate.
- Don't just say "you're wrong"; explain why.
- Do not assume you know somebody's opinion on an issue before they have expressed it.
- An elaboration: this applies even when the person in question is behaving like a typical conservative/antitheist/materialist/electrophysiologist/whatever.
- If somebody questions your argument, explain it, don't repeat it.
- Avoid ad hominem attacks. An argument is not necessarily wrong just because the person making it is a filthy, puppy-kicking hypocrite.
- Do not attack a troper elsewhere in the forums over something they said in OTC.
- Do not assume that general statements refer to you personally.
- A semantic derail is still a derail. If a semantic disagreement arises, simply clarify what you mean, and move on.
edited 20th May '11 5:48:34 PM by BobbyG
edited 20th May '11 3:54:27 PM by Jordan
edited 20th May '11 4:24:51 PM by BobbyG
- If somebody is using a word in a way that differs from how you understand it, do not get sidetracked into a semantic argument. That's still a derail.
edited 20th May '11 4:36:13 PM by BobbyG
edited 20th May '11 4:55:09 PM by kashchei
|And better than thy stroke; why swellest thou then?|