I'm Addy, a 24 year old Scot with a financial services degree and little way to use it due to the recession. A friend introduced me to this site a couple of years ago, I became hooked slower than most, but I've gradually become active on more and more parts of the site.
I'm a pure Dead Pan Snarker
, and I like to play games with the Violent Glaswegian
- anyone who knows me knows I'm utterly incapable of hurting anyone, or willing to, but if I'm wronged in some way I'm not above being creative to get revenge.
My interests are variable, as I'm quite faddish. Still, I'm most often seen on the left column forums, with occasional forays into JBM, Yack Fest and JAW, and in the main wiki I'm normally in the video games or live action TV sections. I'm still largely an unknown in the forums for some reason, but always interested in getting to know people.
You be a G.I.R.L.
thanks to that name of yours. AHR
Addy the Pawn Slayer
- *Thinks on this...* oh fuck, not again! A guy? —blamspam
Addy the Pawn Slayer
Does whatever a pawn slayer does
Can he swing
from a web
No he can't
He's a pawn slayer
I'm not from there, but I'm guessing it's better to be a Violent Glaswegian
than to have a Glasgow Smile
By the way, hi!
— Amused Troper Guy
If you've somehow found your way to this page, feel free to say hi here!
Tropes that apply to me:
- Berserk Button: Iím generally considered gentile and difficult to anger, but I do have a few of these. On this site, itís almost any use of This Troper, Averted Trope or Natter. In real life it tends to be poor punctuality, disloyalty and dishonesty. Quite a few more than that though, those are all I can be bothered listing however.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Due to the above, if I'm ever aggressive this trope quite often comes into play.
- Brilliant but Lazy: Inertia is my biggest problem Ė Iím highly intelligent but can never be bothered doing anything with it.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: One of the traits Iím most famous for, though Aspergerís accounts for much of it.
- Country Matters / Cluster F-Bomb / Precision F-Strike: Let me say this clearly Ė if youíre offended by swearing, youíre a prude. End of discussion. Well not quite but I wonít hear arguments to it. Swear words are just combination of letters, much like any other words. There are many ďfour letter wordsĒ, and words in themselves are not offensive. ĎíContextíí however is different. It might be a British/Scottish/Glaswegian thing, but Iíll happily call someone a cunt and mean it as a compliment. Fuck is the most versatile word in the English language and can be almost every word in a sentence if I want it to be. If I want to offend someone, I could add context to the word ďshoeĒ and intend it as an insult, so the blanket opposition to swearing (except that in many contexts it Ďíisíí meant offensively) bugs me.
- Crazy Awesome: My dancing. Insanely bad, insanely amusing, insanely energetic, and just insane. I genuinely couldnít live without it however, as itís how I release myself emotionally, so Iím wholly unapologetic.
- Cute Clumsy Guy: Subverted (and gender-flipped, obviously). Iím very very clumsy, but itís neither cute nor endearing, being instead a source of extreme perpetual embarrassment for me.
- Dead Pan Snarker: Very, very much so.
- Ditzy Genius: My high intelligence notwithstanding, accidents of mine include the following: Punching myself in the head while putting my coat on, cutting my finger fairly badly while washing my hands, permanently scarring my thumb while using a can opener and smacking my head off a desk while reaching down to pick up a pen Iíd dropped beneath it.
- Geek: The trait Iím best known for.
- Goth: * sigh* Somewhat kinda mostly played straight/subverted? I donít fit the classical goth stereotype, but I do meet some of the ďrequirementsĒ. I wear mostly black and blue, I listen to symphonic metal such as Nightwish and Within Temptation, go to a punk/rock/metal club and am in Glasgowís ďalternativeĒ community, plus many of my friends either are or used to be Goths. Thereís also the issues with depression Iíve had (see below). Despite it all though to see me and hang out with me it just doesnít seem logical to call me a goth!
- Hates Being Touched: Iím quite paradoxical about this, in that I love to hug, but beyond that or handholding, unless youíre in a certain situation with me youíd better not touch me.
- Heroic BSOD: I had a nervous breakdown two years ago, when I was 21. This left me completely incapacitated for about two months Ė I almost literally could do nothing but lie on the couch/bed and even walking 50 metres to the corner shop was impossible without falling to pieces. Playing this trope in real life? Really donít recommend it.
- The Lancer: In group scenarios, I tend to naturally gravitate towards positions of leadership for some reason. Itís perhaps because I lack confidence however that Iím actually better in a proactive number two role, with freedom to make decisions and do things on my own without actually being completely in charge of everything.
- Love Dodecahedron: My ludicrously complicated social circle. The first girl I was seriously involved with ďbroke upĒ with me for a guy who was the ex of my two best friends. A year later that guy had had two further, separate, time distinct relationships with that girl and another with one of the other two. Thatís by no means a notably complicated situation among us.
- Never Live It Down: Not quite ďneverĒ, but it took 6 years for my directly accusing Santa Claus of paedophilia in an exhibition debate my high schoolís society put on about his existence during the holiday season to go away. Naturally, randomly (and very loudly) asking me if itís true whenever I appeared became a frequent source of amusement for those present afterwards.
- Old Shame: I used to be a very right-wing, Daily Fail-reading Tory. Having realised the err of my ways, Iíve since become exceedingly socially liberal, and am now an outspoken critic of everything rightwing. Economically Iím still Capitalist, but economical and social politics are very different things.
- Platonic Life Partners: With several people actually. My best friend is as close to my sister as itís possible to be without being a direct relation, though half the people we know used to think weíd end up married and many would probably still be delighted to see that happen. Also applies to another close friend, to the point where I kept inadvertently cock-blocking her because guys who liked her assumed that I was her boyfriend. Naturally given my easy tendencies towards this Iím often used as a fake boyfriend when my female friends want guys to stop hitting on them (this gets a bit uncomfortable when Iím trying to stare down guys built like brick shithouses admittedly).
- Raised by Wolves: Yeah, I have Aspergersí Syndrome. Somehow it doesnít actually stop me living a normal life, but it does without question impact on what/how/why I say and do things, so its quite important if you know me IRL that you know I have it, otherwise Iím likely to completely inadvertently piss you off. Iím one of those ones who asks you endlessly to just be straight up with me and not play games, and will probably assume that youíre not doing so at any given time (this is frequently with good reason however, given my social circle is ridiculously complex and incredibly bitchy/underhanded)
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Infrequently Iím prone to it.
- Small Reference Pools: Iím very fond of making random, pointless, meaningless references to anything and everything in normal conversation, from obscure song lyrics randomly inserted into what Iím saying, quoting units from video games, and even injokes that nobody but me could ever understand.
- The Smart Guy: In a Five-Man Band scenario, if Iím not The Lancer, Iím almost certainly the Smart Guy. Or quite possibly both.
- The Snark Knight: Me in a nutshell basically.
- Sophisticated as Hell: I love invoking Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness then ending it with a Precision F-Strike.
- Stepford Smiler: Type A. Denial is a coping mechanism for both Aspergers and depression, so I tend to abuse the ambiguity and relativity of the word "okay" when asked how I am. I also, however, flat out lie about how I am quite often as well as it's often simpler or more convenient to do so. Needless to say, that rather frustrates my friends, especially those who know me well enough to realise when I'm lying.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: I'm male. Apparently "Addy" is seen as more of a female name around these parts. Real name is Adam, some bizarrely swear by only one (both names have proponents) and some call me either. On the phone, I always come across as feminine. This gets annoying when people are trying to work out what they misheard "Adam" as, since that isn't a girl's name.
- Violent Glaswegian: Zigzagged. I live in Glasgow (and intend doing so for the foreseeable) but am barely able/willing to hurt a flyÖthough when I do lose my temper, I lose it big time. Itís utterly terrifying to see, even though Iím always the biggest victim of such rampages. Online I lampshade, play straight, subvert and parody the trope depending on my mood Ė which frequently governs my level of tolerance for the utter fucktards who consist of 90% of the population of the internet. See my sig!
- The Woobie: To most of my friends, and in school to my teachers as well.