YMMV: When They Cry
- Adaptation Displacement: Most fans of Higurashi and Umineko tend to be more familiar with their respective anime adaptations than the visual novels they're based on.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Both series of this franchise has many character who had more than one side. Listing them here would be very long.
- Complete Monster: Has its own page.
- Crowning Music of Awesome - It's a sound novel after all. The music captures the mood so well that the entire series really does deserve its own page.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Ryukishi was inspired by Key, replacing drama with horror in his version of the formula. Years after Higurashi and Umineko became successes, Ryukishi actually wrote for a Key VN, Rewrite. What followed was a Darker and Edgier Key story with a much stronger split between the "happy school life" and "mystery of the world" sections.
- Nightmare Fuel - Just from the basic premise, having to relive the last days before your murder over and over again, while watching everyone you care about being murdered too. And one of those people you care about's the murderer.
- Paranoia Fuel