- Better on DVD: There's little question that American Cox: The Unbearably Long, Self-Indulgent Director's Cut is the superior version of the film, giving most of the jokes more breathing room and setup.
- That said, the commentary reveals that the filmmakers were a little wary of making Dewey as promiscuous as he was in that version, as it made him less sympathetic.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Parodied. Despite Dewey's amazing life and countless hit songs, his life only comes together when he writes his ultimate masterpiece and plays it at his lifetime achievement award ceremony. He dies three minutes after he's done.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: Not only does every song on the soundtrack sound like a likely hit song from the era in which it was supposedly written, you're very likely to keep humming various motiffs for days after you've watched the movie.
- Ho Yay
Theo: You slept with me too! And I've had confused feelings about that for ten years now!
- That, and Theo glomping Dewey when reuniting the band.
- Jerkass Woobie: Yeah, Dewey is a selfish asshole but considering of what happened to him.
- So Okay, It's Average: The fact that this movie came out in an era bloated by Seltzer and Friedberg's "Movie Movies" probably hurt it critically, but it was still only considered one of the "better" post-Naked Gun spoof movies.
- Tear Jerker: It's a comedy, but realizing that Dewey passed away right after his final performance is really heartbreaking.