- Archive Panic: It consists of a couple hundred pages, but is well worth trying to read from the start.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: He didn't post all that often, but J-Mann was quite popular amongst participants for his no nonsense and straightforward giving of advice, and actual attempts to help Jeff than just laugh at him. He went as far as calling Jeff's old employer to request that he be rehired and even offered Jeff an interview and employment possibility at his own startup company.
- Growing the Beard: Though the story's early entries, mostly focused on Jeff's engagements and relationships were fairly well received by the forum, almost everyone agrees the story peaked in 2010 when he quit his job for an offer that was an obvious internet scam.
- Memetic Badass: RUSS POWERS!
- The Scrappy: Board mod Inks was rather disliked for his constant attacks and demeaning of Jeff.
- Jmfcst might be for some as his constant badgering and belittling of Jeff drove him to quit the new AAD forum and plunged Update into uncertainty for awhile.
- Seasonal Rot: It's generally agreed that the brief time Bushie spent living in Utah was quite boring and the new setting simply did not work. While almost universally considered the low point of the series, the events that ended it are thought of as one of the story's best revelations.
- The Woobie: Jeff at times is seen this way...also his parents who continue to have to fund and put up with him, especially his father said to be working 60 hours a week often. Making Jeff more of a Jerkass Woobie.
- Allison has recently become one in-universe to some cast members such as Duke and Dr. Cynic.