YMMV: Twelve Houses
- Anvilicious: The message of these books? Don't discriminate against anyone. Especially not minorities who live as second class citizens in the south-eastern part of your massively powerful country which could could kick the ass of all its neighbouring countries, and occasionally does. Racism is baaaad, kids.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Donnal. You hardly notice him in the first book, but his part grows subtly throughout the second.
- Shocking Swerve: Who Senneth really is.
- Tear Jerker: When Karryn Fortunalt, who has thus far been a Spoiled Brat, admits:
"I suppose I'm not used to thinking of myself as valuable. Mostly I always just thought I was in everybody's way."
- Followed by a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming when Wen tells Karryn about a page later that "It is you I would defend, and not just your title."