YMMV: The Yeomen of the Guard
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Fans' and directors' opinions are very much divided as to the niceness and/or nastiness of Point and/or Fairfax (and to some extent Elsie, and Wilfred and Phoebe).
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: Sergeant Meryll's cut-song, "A Laughing Boy But Yesterday" (about his son, Leonard) is particularly sweet, especially given that Gilbert tended not to put a huge amount of emphasis on familial relationships.
- Memetic Badass: In-universe, Leonard seems to be something of one of these. He's a little too good at killing people.
- Tear Jerker
- True Art Is Angsty: This is easily the most serious of all their operas. It also got the most praise for the composer, and documentary evidence suggests that it was both Gilbert's and Sullivan's favourite of their works.
- The Woobie: Jack Point, again.