YMMV: The Soloist
- Award Snub: Despite all that Oscar bait (true story, based on a book/series of articles, Oscar-winning actor playing mentally troubled) it was barely nominated and didn't win anything.
- Some argue that it should've, given the rather lacklustre eventual winner.
- Awesome Music: To be expected of a film with such a title. Pretty much every cello composition was performed by an actual Julliard graduate and is awesome.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Didn't Robert Downey Jr. just warn someone about "going full retard" for Oscar bait?
- Except that Jamey Foxx didn't go full retard in the film. There were many positive responses about the film from the real-life carers and relatives of the mentally ill people. In nearly every case, Foxx's performance was praised as one of the best portrayals of schizophrenia and mental illness in general on celluloid.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: when Nathaniel is at the concert hall, we get to see his perception of the music as someone with synesthesia. The resulting aura whirls of color are difficult to describe but they certainly look great.