YMMV: The Satanic Verses
- Just Here for Godzilla: It's a very long book, most of it is set in 80s London, but most readers who read the book, come for the historical setting in Jahilia, which was the source of controversy. This section comprises at best 120-130 words of a 700-odd page book.
- No Such Thing as Bad Publicity: In the weeks following the fatwa, the novel shot to the top of bestseller lists worldwide, ultimately earning Rushdie approximately $2,000,000 in its first year of publication alone (about $4,000,000 today). Seriously, the Ayatollah should have gotten half of that money!
- Rushdie would disagree. He pointed out that most of the money went to security which he has mostly had to pay on his own, it also went into alimony and child support over the end of his second marriage, which broke as a result of the fatwa and of course the payments to the families of the people who died.
- Overshadowed by Controversy: Oh, yeah.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Symbolic?