YMMV: The Reader
- Award Snub / Internet Backdraft: This movie wasn't very well received to begin with, even by critics, but it's especially hated by The Dark Knight and WALL•E fans for "stealing" their Best Picture spots.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Kate Winslet's appearance in Extras was, at best, very prophetic:
"I don't think we really need another film about the Holocaust, do we? It's like, how many have there been, you know? We get it. It was grim. Move on. No, I'm doing it because I've noticed that if you do a film about the Holocaust you're guaranteed an Oscar."
- Ricky Gervais pointed this out while hosting the Golden Globes that year. "Well done Winslet, I told ya, do a Holocaust movie, the awards come, didn't I?"
- What an Idiot: Hannah would rather take a life sentence than admit to the court that she cannot read.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Symbolic?: Hanna's inability to read is a rather transparent metaphor for the inability of her generation to see the evil of the Nazis at the time it was occurring; not incidentally, it's by learning to read that she becomes fully aware of the enormity of the Holocaust.