* ClicheStorm: Firmly cemented by the almost exclusive reliance on gags and plots from the original movie.
* CrowningMomentOfHeartwarming: In the episode "Yzmopolis", what finally convinces Kuzco to make the wish that fatefully starts the plot rolling? His attempt to cheat got Malina in trouble, and (aside from her anger) he's upset at how being different from the students even makes her life hard.
** Then later in the same episode, what convinces him to change his mind and wish to be Emperor again? Malina in the new universe was living in exile for being "pretty and smart", and she was sent to the dungeon for her new-found confidence (which Kuzco gave her[[note]] Double-heartwarming[[/note]]). So off he goes to undo his wish.
** In "Kuzclone", after Kronk comes clean about Yzma's plot, he, Malina and Pacha come to the real Kuzco's rescue. Despite his earlier belief that his friends already had friends of their own, Kuzco comes to the epiphany that because they came for him in his darkest hour, these three truly ''are'' his friends!
** In the ending of "Chipmunky Business", Yzma yelling at the condor who snatched up [[EvenEvilHasLovedOnes her nephews]]. They may be as [[CreepyTwins creepy]] as she is, but at least she wasn't willing to let the condor go without [[MamaBear a fight]].
** In "The Mystery of Machu Pichu", Malina revealing that when she's scared, she sleeps with her stuffed animal. She's showing Kuzco a vulnerable side to her, as a way to tell Kuzco that [[AnAesop there's nothing wrong with being scared]].
* CryForTheDevil: Yzma has it pretty rough in some episodes.
** In "The Emperor's New School Spirit," she recounts how her high school classmates made fun of her, calling her "pigeon-legs." At her high school reunion, they [[spoiler: [[KickTheDog cover her with honey and bird feathers and continue to taunt her]]]]. With [[spoiler:Kuzco]]'s help, she [[spoiler: gets back at them by [[TheDogBitesBack turning them into pigeons]]]].
** In "Take My Advice," Yzma is fired at the very beginning and has to find a new job. [[spoiler:She makes a living as the "Dinosaur Lady."]]
** Vacation Time. Vacation Time. So much fun.
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL1G40piqy0 Yzmopolis, my metropolis...]]
** The theme song in general.
* NightmareFuel: The skeleton anteater. On the bright side it came with a [[EarWorm really catchy song.]]
* SeasonalRot: The 2007-2008 second season in comparison to the 2006 first season. Season 1 was very straightforward, with a standard 21 episodes that formed an almost equal mix of two-part episodes and episodes with two stories (9 and 12, respectably). Season 2 was 31 episodes long, and all but a handful of them were episodes containing stories--among the exceptions being the holiday specials and series finale--suggesting the writers couldn't come up with a story to last 22 minutes.
* SeinfeldIsUnfunny: The series reused so many jokes from the originally movie so many times that, to a certain extent at least, the jokes ended up becoming more annoying than funny.
** This is [[LampshadeHanging Lampshaded]] in one episode in which the whole "Roller Coaster Inside The Lab" joke was used so many times that it actually couldn't come up with something witty to say that hadn't been said before.
** Another LampshadeHanging comes when Yzma struggles to think of something new to turn Kuzco into and suggests a llama. Kronk asks, "You're kidding, right?"
** Yet another LampshadeHanging in that episode comes when Yzma tells Kronk to pull the lever, and Kronk does, causing something they've seen before to come down. He then keeps pulling the lever saying "Seen that, seen that" until they flip in.
* UglyCute: Baby Yzma.
* VisualEffectsOfAwesome: Lampshaded in Yzmopolis.