- Retroactive Recognition: Two of the film's stars went on to successful TV series: Craig Stevens played the title role in Peter Gunn, while William Hopper was cast as Paul Drake in Perry Mason.
- Romantic Plot Tumor: The awkward romance.
- The Scrappy: Corporal "Donny Most." Thankfully he's only briefly on scene. Hopefully the mantis got him.
- Special Effects Failure: Any number, but the one that really stands out is a weird inversion that worked too well, namely a ridiculously thick patch of fog which obscures what is supposed to be a camera focus on a giant mantis footprint.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: The life-size model of the dead giant mantis itself in the tunnel, which looks pretty good for a movie from that era.