YMMV: The Crying Game
- All There Is to Know About "The Crying Game": Trope namer. This was further exemplified when the Academy Awards themselves actually manage to spoil the big surprise of The Crying Game by nominating a certain member of the cast for Best Supporting Actor.
- Freud Was Right. When Dil kills Jude, she growls, "You used those tits and that ass to get him, didn't you?!", and after she's dead, Dil asks Fergus to tell him what she wore. It's a disturbing subtext if you really think about it.
- Ho Yay: Between Jody and Fergus, further complicating an already complicated Love Dodecahedron. Jody even remarks that Fergus is "the handsome one" of the kidnappers. Not to mention all those dreams Fergus has of Jody in his white uniform. in the end he makes Dil use that same white uniform, which can be seen with a lot of different interpretations.
- It Was His Sled: The Reveal has been the subject of so many parodies and jokes that even people who have never seen the movie know the twist.
- Nausea Fuel: The Reveal, for Fergus.
- Values Resonance: As Rantasmo pointed out in his video, the reveal of Dil being a trans woman is treated as a misunderstanding, not a deception. Given the prevalence of the "trap" stereotype to this day, with trans women (and occasionally other transgender people) being treated as liars for not disclosing their "true" gender, it was ahead of its time.
- The Woobie: Dil, and HOW. That poor hairdresser puts up with a lot.
- Jody as well.