YMMV: The Black Coats
- Ho Yay:
- Echalot and Similor come off as a pretty blatant Ambiguously Gay Duo. They are raising Saladin together, are compared to Homoerotic mythological couples like Pylades and Orestes, and sometimes comes off as All Gays Want Bad Boys on Echalot's part.
- The Colonel's pretended pseudo Paternal affection for the other high Council members (Especially Lecoq) can come off a little creepy at times
- In Companions of The Treasure there is a very long scene between Marguerite and Irene, her intent is just to manipulate her into letting her borrow her room, but it comes off allot like she's seducing her.
- Magnificent Bastard: The Colonel, oh, so much.
- It's most marvelously demonstrated in The Invisible Weapon
- Lecoq also.
- And Marguerite is a Magnificent Bitch.
- Villain Decay: Lampshaded, in the final book, Pistolet states, "Since the Colonel's death, The Black Coats are run almost as badly as the police." This makes it clear that the once omnipotent organisation has become a shadow of its former self.