- Crowning Moment of Funny: Several, especially with the Hitler Youth sniper's fate.
The Bangalore Torpedo was 50' long and packed with 85 pounds of TNT
and you assembled it along the way. By hand. I'd love to meet the asshole who invented it.
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: Lee Marvin and the boy from the concentration camp (becomes a Tear Jerker moment when the boy dies in Sarge's arms). And the little girl who decorates his helmet with flowers earlier.
- Ho Yay: The Sarge gets snogged by a German doctor while held prisoner in Tunis. Sarge chokes him until he desists.
"I can understand you being horny Fritz, but you've got bad breath."
- Also when two soldiers are sleeping next to each other.
"Zeff, quit pockin' me with your rifle."
- Moral Event Horizon: Near the end of the movie the squad stumbles upon the Falkenau concentration camp.
- Specifically the pacifistic Griff finds a remaining German guard hiding in one of the crematories. Griff coldly shoots the guard, and keeps shooting even after Sarge wordlessly hands him more clips.
- Tear Jerker: The concentration camp. The fact that the entire scene is almost completely wordless just makes it worse.
- Vindicated by History: Not a smashing success when released, time and a later director's cut led to this movie being considered on par with Saving Private Ryan and Patton as a great war movie.