- Designated Hero: Whip. He pulls some pretty crappy stunts, all which are portrayed as perfectly right and good, simply because he's the lead character. In particular, he basically taunts and bullies Graves into coming along on the squid-hunting trip for no reason other than to scare the hell out of him, and is therefore essentially indirectly responsible for his death.
- Designated Villain: Schuyler Graves. Not until the very end of the film, when he cowardly abandons the rest of the group does he ever really do anything to earn the constant contempt directed at him by Whip.
- Informed Wrongness: Graves insists his business practices have saved the town, but Whip repeatedly counters that Graves is ruining the island. The "ruining" community seems to be doing just fine.
- Whip salvages the inflatable raft belonging to the squid's first victims. Upon being told that Graves is putting a claim on it (per a law on the island), he slashes it out of spite. Later, after learning about the squid threat, Whip asks to examine the inflatable for evidence, but Graves says they scuttled it because of the damage. Whip calls Graves a jerk, and we're supposed to agree... as well as forget that Whip was the one who wrecked the raft in the first place.
- Unintentionally Unsympathetic: Whip is supposed to be a working-class hero with money troubles and a dead wife. Too bad he comes across as such a jerk.