* AntiClimaxBoss: After the grueling Metal Sonic battle, you're treated to a 15-second fight with Dr. Robotnik in his PoweredArmor, who can almost effortlessly be taken down, as he can only do a PPP combo and a throw. Combine this with the fact that you start with a perma-[[SuperMode Hyper Mode]] to encourage you to really let loose on him or [[NonStandardGameOver the Death Egg II will self-destruct]] [[HaveANiceDeath with you in it]] if you have more HP than Robotnik when time runs out. What's odd is that Robotnik -does- have a full (and quite deadly) moveset, as using cheats to play as him reveals, he just doesn't use it because it would be unfair considering the time constraints.
* AwesomeMusic: [[AwesomeMusic/SonicTheHedgehog It wouldn't be a Sonic game if it didn't have some]].
* CultClassic: While [[SoOkayItsAverage not the most well-received]] spin-off of the ''Sonic the Hedgehog'' series (and more-or-less a "''Fighting Vipers'' with ''Sonic the Hedgehog'' characters" game), it does have a cult following for being an obscure ''Sonic the Hedgehog'' fighting game. There are small competitive and speedrunning scenes for the game.
** Bean and Bark after they were reintroduced in Archie's ''Sonic The Hedgehog'' comics and were written as hilarious, bounty hunting HeterosexualLifePartners.
** When it was discovered that an [[DummiedOut incomplete version]] of Honey from ''VideoGame/FightingVipers'' [[FunnyAnimal in the form of a cat]] was hidden within the game's files, she became one of the most popular characters within the ''Sonic'' fandom, arguably more than her original human counterpart, an established EnsembleDarkhorse in her own CultClassic series and one of Sega's most popular [[MsFanservice sex symbols]]. Despite being a GuestFighter, many fans have expressed wanting to see cat Honey appear in the main Sonic canon. Perhaps acknowledging her popularity, upon the announcement of the [=Model2=] Collection UpdatedRerelease, Honey was shown to be completed as a hidden playable character. She was also heavily requested by fans to appear in the [[ComicBook/ArchieComicsSonicTheHedgehog comic book series]], and finally appeared in the comic's adaptation of the game, retaining her human counterpart's role as a fashion designer who joins a fighting tournament to promote her line.
* FridgeLogic: Of course there's the infamous 8 Chaos Emeralds bit, which was an excuse to have eight main fighters, but then you never actually fight a character who ''has'' the eighth emerald (logically this would be you, but you don't actually start with any Emeralds); instead your character gets cloned by [[SpellMyNameWithAnS Dr. Robotonic]] and you get the last emerald from the [[MirrorMatch resulting eighth fight.]] So.. One of your emeralds was cloned too?
* GameBreaker: Sonic's spin-dash move, which deals heavy damage and is fast-hitting.
* ItsEasySoItSucks: The most common complaint against the game is that it's very easy compared to most fighting games. Some even claim that you can win by holding down one button.
* OlderThanTheyThink: This was officially the first game to give Amy her iconic Piko-Piko Hammer. While intended as a gag, it stuck, and became her WeaponOfChoice and she's rarely seen without it. Fans unfamiliar with the game generally assume Adventure did it first.
* PolishedPort: The [=Model2=] Collection's UpdatedRerelease on [=PlayStation=] Network and Xbox LIVE Arcade, as it has the DummiedOut characters added (though only a few, not all of them), online multiplayer, and a SoundTest function by using the trigger buttons on the controller.
* PopularWithFurries: Despite being DummiedOut for the longest, Honey the Cat was this. She only became more popular when she was added into the re-releases and made a character in ''ComicBook/ArchieComicsSonicTheHedgehog''.
** [[WakeUpCallBoss Metal]] [[SNKBoss Sonic]] is [[LightningBruiser fast as Sonic, hits hard as Bark]], [[MadeOfIron he can take as much as he can dish out]], and has Tails' [[ThatOneAttack annoying throwing move]]. And if you try to cheat your way past him by breaking all of his barriers, he TurnsRed and uses a powerful (and unblockable) corkscrew attack over and over until you die.
** Before him, Bean (the seventh opponent you face, before Sonic and Metal Sonic) is usually seen as a major difficulty spike compared to the opponents you face before him.
* VindicatedByHistory: On its release, it was one of the most critically reviled spin-offs of the franchise due to its unbalanced cast, overly simple gameplay, and due to it being perceived as a poor FollowTheLeader attempt to cash-in on the popular fighting game trend at the time. As time has gone by, nostalgia for the game has greatly lessened the initially poor reception, and it is now considered a fun spinoff with unique characters and gameplay. While it's ultimately a pretty shallow button-masher, it's still a lot of fun with friends and the goofy animations still make it amusing.