- Covered Up: At least in the U.S., Jo-El Sonnier's version of "Tear Stained Letter" is far better known than Thompson's original.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: Shoot Out The Lights.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: Thompson's music has been more successful in the U.S. than his native England, especially since Shoot Out The Lights. Thompson even moved across The Pond in The Eighties.
- Ho Yay: Thompson doesn't bother to flip the gender when playing "I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight," so he's asking a guy to take him to a dance and hold him tight.
- Nightmare Fuel: Psycho Street. Enough said right there.
- Tear Jerker: Lots of depressing songs. "The End of the Rainbow" stands out for its bleakness, even by Richard Thompson standards.