* AcceptableNationalityTargets: "Only one thing worse than a dragon. Americans!"
* CriticalDissonance[=/=]SugarWiki/NoProblemWithLicensedGames: Both the movie (40% on Rotten Tomatoes) and the games were disliked by critics, but (at the very least) liked by the audience[=/=]gamers.
** The story itself is actually refreshing - there aren't many movies where the modern world has been brought to its knees by dragons, and an American Dragon-slaying Unit is an interesting twist - England is usually the setting for those kinds of stories.
* GeniusBonus: The Americans introduce themselves as the "Kentucky Irregulars", something that did not make sense to most American audiences, but would be more likely to make sense to Europeans due to differences in terminology. Irregulars are military personnel who are not part of the military proper, referring to militia, auxiliaries and other elements. The "Kentucky Irregulars" are the Kentucky National Guard. (For non-Americans, National Guard refers to the military forces that belong to the individual states rather than to the Federal Government.) Meanwhile, in colonial times (such as when the British Empire held sway in the Americas), Kentucky was a region known as a very fertile hunting ground. Lo and behold, the Kentucky National Guard shows up to hunt dragons.
* JustHereForGodzilla: In this case, the dragons.
* NarmCharm: Any time Matthew [=McConaughey=] is on screen, no exceptions. His final scene is SO Narmy it reaches CrowningMomentOfAwesome levels.
* NightmareFuel: The Bull. This dragon is considerably larger than the females and it shows. On its own, the Bull wiped out the Kentucky Irregulars in just one pass over them and then he just flew off immediately to the castle. [[ItCanThink The way he crawled up carefully to the castle suggests not only that he knew about the place]], but that he'd ''done it before.'' ''It was like he just wanted an excuse to attack it.''
* SpecialEffectFailure: As Van Zan clims the ladder at the end, the metal bow of his crossbow is bending on each rung behind him, revealing the fact that it is made of rubber.
* TookTheBadFilmSeriously: Director Rob Bowman said that he and everyone else involved on the project were fully aware that they were essentially making a B-Movie but decided to do do the best job they could meaning that the film includes genuine acting and some truly amazing visual effects.
* VisualEffectsOfAwesome - The dragons were created by the now-defunct [[Creator/DreamQuestImages The Secret Lab]] and did look pretty convincing, to the point that quite a few reviews would say the movie was bad, but "The dragons were ''awesome.''"