- Crowning Moment of Awesome: The second season finale has J doing a rap where she tells off Dolores and says she's leaving GutBusters and won't miss any of them.
- Designated Villain: Nina, who makes J miserable at work just because she can.
- Hollywood Homely: The actor who plays A is quite good looking in real life. They have him look homely in the show by having him scrunch up his whole face and speak in an Urkel-esque voice.
- Minority Show Ghetto: In this interview, Issa Rae, the show's creator, discusses this trope. She says that this show could never exist without the web because of this trope, and discussed whether or not ABG could become a full-length network TV show.
In one meeting, during the first ten seconds, this guy said, "The show is pretty funny. This is about a typical black woman with her black women problems." And then said big names were necessary to make it to television.
- Moe: J herself
- Ship-to-Ship Combat: Most of the base is either die hard "Team White Jay" or "Team Fred"