- Crowning Moment of Funny: The chapter of Mona's "coven" meeting. But the crowner has to be when Oyster pushes Carl too far, and Carl snaps... and Plucky the parrot drops dead. Helen's reaction of "I didn't do it" cinches it.
- Moral Event Horizon: Oyster's Grand Theft of Helen to destroy her and cruelly mock Carl.
- Nausea Fuel: In Carl's confrontation with Nash, Nash killed every single person inside a resturant. Including a chef who fell facefirst onto the stove.
- Also, Mona extracting things from Carl's feet.
- Also the nudist exiting the toilet with paper stuck up his ass.
- Paranoia Fuel: There are certain people who can kill you by simply reciting a few words to you. There are even a few people who can kill you by thinking the song at you.
- Tear Jerker: The end, in which Carl sings the culling song to the dying Helen. She gets better... sort of.
- The revelation that the couple Carl and the gang saw gardening were Carl's parents, and Carl's call to his dad afterwards. It becomes even sadder when you remember that the author wrote this book in response to the death of his father.
- Both of Helen and Carl's encounters with parents who accidently killed their children with the culling poem.