YMMV: Known Space
- Idiot Plot: The plot of "Neutron Star" depends on pretty much every named character not expecting tidal forces around neutron stars, despite such forces being clearly understood in the 1960s, when the story was written.
- Although "Neutron Star" was retconned later in Crashlander and Juggler of Worlds to be a limited perspective on a deeper Puppeteer/ARM game where the only person not truly aware of the tidal force was Beowulf. It's still pretty dumb of a pilot not to know this.
- It's the Same, Now It Sucks: There are two things preventing Fate of Worlds from being a satisfactory conclusion to the Ringworld series: Louis is mostly only a passive observer of events, just like he was in The Ringworld Throne, and the ending is essentially the same as that of Ringworld's Children in that it involves moving multiple-planet-sized objects through hyperspace to get away from attackers.
- Magnificent Bastard: Ol't'ro.
- Mary Sue: Peace Corben from the Man-Kzin Wars stories, in spades.