* FamilyUnfriendlyAesop: Likely unintentional. During the movie, Witch Hazel performs a song about the importance of being different. While nothing wrong with that in and of itself, because it's sung by a witch (and from her perspective), and because witches (at least in this movie [[note]] and by extension, the TV show[[/note]]) are evil, some viewers may have thought that the movie implies that being different is evil.
* LesYay: Not least, perhaps, between Witchiepoo and [[NamesTheSame Witch]] [[WesternAnimation/LooneyTunes Hazel]] (Cass Elliot) in the movie.
* PeripheryDemographic: Guess which one. [[spoiler:That's right. Stoners.]]
* ThisIsYourPremiseOnDrugs: It's just a question of which one, really.
* WhatDoYouMeanItWasntMadeOnDrugs: Believe it or not, [[UrbanLegend it wasn't]], according to [[WordOfGod Sid and Marty Krofft themselves]]. At one point they even ''fired'' a crew member for showing up stoned.
** After decades of being goaded for a definitive answer on whether the show was one giant pot reference, Marty Krofft ''did'' finally admit that ''Pufnstuf'''s title was a reference to reefer smoking. However, the title was apparently born out of a childish sense of humour rather than an active interest in drug culture, as he was seeing if he could [[GettingCrapPastTheRadar pass it by the NBC executives without being called out on it]].