* SugarWiki/AwesomeMusic: Par for the course in a Creator/StanleyKubrick film:
** The [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoZJdil0_HI background music]] to the infamous masked orgy ritual, which also doubles as NightmareFuel.
** [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV_qPnsYIaA Musica Ricerata no. 2]] is used to great effect.
** [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmCnQDUSO4I Dmitri Shostakovich - Waltz No. 2]]
* BestKnownForTheFanservice: The average person doesn't know much in the movie aside from nude Creator/NicoleKidman (at times kissing naked Creator/TomCruise, as seen on the poster) and the infamous masked orgy.
* EndingFatigue: After TheReveal, the film still goes on for some time. Probably [[JustifiedTrope justified]], as it highlights that the mystery, captivating and intriguing though it is, [[MocksteryTale is ultimately of secondary importance]] compared to the issues of lust, trust and fidelity. [[MindScrew And then there's a possibility that the reveal was false anyway...]]
* EveryoneIsSatanInHell: One website claims that Kubrick was murdered by the Illuminati because the orgy scene was too accurate.
* HarsherInHindsight: When the wife tells her tale to the protagonist, what you get to see is the face of Creator/TomCruise listening at Creator/NicoleKidman -- his wife -- describing how he doesn't understand women. The couple's real-life successive break-up makes this almost prophetic.
* HypeBacklash: It was really hyped for being Creator/StanleyKubrick's swan song, and having an attached campaign of secrecy that had been going strong for nearly half a decade. [[BrokenBase Many]] ended up disappointed.
* InspiredBy: A very rare case of inversion. The closing credits state that the film was "inspired by" the Arthur Schnitzler's novella, but it is in fact a rather faithful adaptation (down to the key pieces of dialogue).
* NightmareFuel: The iconic gathering of the secret society. As mentioned above, the music is disturbing, as is the mysterious nature of the event.
** During the opening ritual of the gathering, a masked couple on the balcony stare down at Bill suspiciously. Done in POV, it arguably gives the illusion that they're staring right at the viewer.
** The tense scene at the end of the gathering when [[spoiler:Bill is outed as an uninvited guest.]]
* TrueArtIsIncomprehensible: You'd think a film with a plot as simple as "a man discovers his wife contemplated an affair a year ago, and contemplates having one himself," would be a simple enough experience. [[MindScrew You would be dead wrong]]. Then again, many would say this is par for course when it comes to Creator/StanleyKubrick.