- Fridge Horror: When zombies attack the village of Darmena, one of the guardsmen who was bitten by them runs away screaming in pain and terror, and is never mentioned again. All these zombies are dispatched and everything is safe. It is revealed that a person bitten by a zombie will become a ghoul if not properly treated. At the end of the book, Thedrik is returning to Darmena, unaware of the zombie apocolypse that has likely occurred in his absense.
- Sera's baby is born during the battle of Loethess, which seems almost cliché until you realize it is half skraad and could feel all the fear and pain of hundreds of people dying every moment, just like the other skraad in the room.
- More like fridge squick: haflings are creatures which are part human and part something else, and beast halfs are more something else than human. Makes you wish you didn't think about how Pavel and Jena, both mule halfs, were made.
- Magnificent Bastard: Aladavan, one of The Fair Folk, who serves as the primary villain for most of the book, seems to always have a ready explanation for why his clearly evil actions are actually good, manipulates others to serve his purposes, and manages to squirm out of nearly every undesirable situation he finds himself in.
- Moral Event Horizon: King Norrith crosses it when he finds out the daughter he loves is really a dragon (the Dragon Queen's daughter, in fact). He tries to kill her.
- The Dragon Queen narrowly avoids crossing the MEH when she unleashes a devastating flood on the country, by sending her vast fleet of flying boats ahead of the flood to rescue as many people as possible who don't want to fight her.
- Selfish Evil: Aladavan's primary concern is serving his own interests, which is mostly the satisfaction of his curiosity. He is not above doing evil deeds to get what he wants, but he doesn't go out of his way to intentionally harm others.
- Ugly Cute: Sera and Eduard's child, who's basically a newborn vulture-human hybrid. Junapur thinks he's terribly cute.
- The Woobie: Thedrik. From having his hometown wrecked to becoming a ghoul (he got better), to being snatched underground by hackals, you gotta feel for the guy.