Web Video / Redwall The Abridged Series
An Abridged Series
by a YouTube
user named Hethrin based on the Redwall note
animated series. The series often parodies
the many changes that were made in the show, as well as some tropes that appear in the books. Hethrin originally managed to create 8 episodes before YouTube
deleted his account for some silly reason. Not to be outdone, Hethrin returned to YouTube
under the new name of "Hethrinlives", and re-uploaded the series. The series became a Dead Fic
for a while, but than in October 2012, Hethrin announced that he would be resuming the project, and that he was currently working on Episode 9
But then Hethrin and The Abridged Series
mysteriously disappeared from the Internet, apparently forever
. This page was for a time the first result when you searched "Redwall the abridged series" on Google...Untill
September 30, 2012, when Hethrin returned to Youtube in glory!
So far, the first three episodes have been re-uploaded.
As of March 26, 2015, Hethrin has once again vanished off the face of YouTube
, taking his series with him.
This series provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: Of Redwall.
- All Your Base Are Belong to Us: Invoked by name in Episode 1.
- Anachronism Stew: Played for laughs. All kinds of pop-culture references, from movies to video games, but all the technology used onscreen by the characters is medieval.
- Animal Stereotypes: Played with. This is Redwall, after all.
Abbot Mortimer: Why do you automatically assume that every rat is evil?
Matthias: Have you ever heard of such a thing as a good rat?
- Anti-Hero: Matthias. There is really very little that is actually heroic about him.
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: In Episode 5.
- Better Than a Bare Bulb: The series begins with a Lampshade Hanging and keeps going from there.
- Black Comedy: Plenty. Methuselah's death is particularly noteworthy.
- Bow Chicka Wow Wow: By Cluny's horde after Sela says she wishes to be left alone with him.
- Cannot Tell a Joke: Asmodeaus.
Chickenhound: Who's there?
Chickenhound: Asmo Who?
Chickenhound: That's... not very funny.
Matthias: I didn't think it was that funny either.
- Dead Fic: Twice!
- Deadpan Snarker: Matthias.
- Deus ex Machina: Lampshaded with the shrews at the end of Episode 7.
- Dirty Communists: The GUOSIM.
- Expy: Shadow is an obvious expy of Gollum from The Lord of the Rings. Constance has a similar voice and manner to The Incredibles' Edna Mode for some reason.
- Fake-Out Opening: Episode 6 opens with a granny in a rocking chair opening "The Fluffy Bunny Show".
- Fun with Acronyms: GUOSIM the "Gross, Ugly, Obnoxious, Stupid, Irritating Moron".
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Lampshaded hilariously by Basil in his comment special.
- Inter Continuity Crossover: Episode 8 crosses over with Ghostbusters!
- Interspecies Romance: A one-sided one between Cluny and Sela.
- Lampshade Hanging: The series practically runs on this.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Lampshaded by Matthias in Episode 6.
- Like Is, Like, a Comma: Redtooth's signature speech pattern.
Redtooth: Like, open the gates, or I'll drop them, and stuff.
- No Fourth Wall: Par for the course in an Abridged Series.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: The villians try this in Episode 6. Unfortunately, the troops really are that stupid.
- Pokémon Speak: Lampshaded with Asmodeaus.
- Perverse Sexual Lust: According to Basil's comment special, some viewers harbor this for Matthias.
- Redemption Equals Death: In Episode 8, Cheesethief discovers Cluny's plan to kill him, and decides to turn from Cluny and become a rat of peace. Cue giant crossbow. This kind of thing actually happens quite often in the books.
- Rick Roll: In Episode 3.
- Stay in the Kitchen: Matthias suggests this to Constance in Episode 8. She is not impressed.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Cluny in Episode 1.
Cluny: Hello. We are good tourists and not evil rats in disguise.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Kilconey and Darkclaw.
- Too Dumb to Live: Cluny's horde among others.
- Later in the same episode:
Shadow: This is Just like playing Thief: Deadly Shadows, only their AI is even dumber
- Ragear (That rat that gets eaten by Asmodeus) deserves a special mention. Lampshaded (Of course).
- The Stinger: Most episodes have one, usually consisting of dialogue from other shows and movies dubbed over scenes from Redwall. One particularly memorable example has Basil and Jess acting out the feminist interview from Borat.
- Shipper on Deck: Cheesethief to Cluny and Sela.
- Shout-Out: Lots in every episode.
- Sound Track Dissonance: The random bits of pop music that play when you'd least expect.
- The Unintelligible: Fangburn. The subtitles help.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: Matthias.